Polar Orbit Change and Line of Sight Time

In summary, the satellite is in a circular polar orbit 240 km altitude and as it comes over the horizon at the North Pole it has an altitude of 3670.9 km.
orbitsnerd

Homework Statement

A satellite is in a circular polar orbit 240 km altitude. When the satellite is over the South Pole the engine is fired to achieve a polar orbit that has apogee directly over the North Pole. After the impulsive burn an observer on the North Pole observes the satellite has a velocity of 9.183 km/s. As the satellite comes over the horizon at the North Pole it is determined to have an altitude of 3670.9 km. How long with the observer be able to communicate with the satellite assuming only line of sight communications with the satellite?

Homework Equations

If Hohmann transfer, those equations.
deltav1=v2-v1
deltav2=v4-v3

The Attempt at a Solution

rp=240km+6378km
ra=3670.9km+6378km
If it is necessary to find e, I can with rp and ra. e=.206
v3=9.183km/s
Possible use of swath angle with Hohmann transfer information?

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is not asking about Hohmann transfers. It is asking about line of sight communications: How long is the satellite in view? What are the relevant equations for this?

BTW, that velocity is not right for the Earth. This must be some other planet.

D H said:
The question is not asking about Hohmann transfers. It is asking about line of sight communications: How long is the satellite in view? What are the relevant equations for this?

BTW, that velocity is not right for the Earth. This must be some other planet.

I have to go off of that it is Earth even though the velocity doesn't seem to make sense I guess. :/

As for the relevant equations for line of sight/viewing geometry I have:
central angle to the horizon=cos angle=re/re+h so at 240 km angle is 15.477 degrees and at 3670.9 km angle is 50.6 degrees.
I can also find the angle from the nadir to the spacecraft by saying cos central angle=sin rho.

Swath width=2re*central angle to the horizon

There are a handful of other equations that define Dh and other angles. I guess my biggest question is: why was I given velocity and the initial orbit altitude if it is only for line of sight?
Thanks!

Related to Polar Orbit Change and Line of Sight Time

1. What is a polar orbit change?

A polar orbit change is when a satellite alters its orbit to circle over the Earth's poles rather than the equator. This type of orbit allows the satellite to cover the entire surface of the Earth, providing global coverage.

2. Why would a satellite need to change its orbit?

A satellite may need to change its orbit for various reasons, such as to adjust its coverage area, avoid collisions with other objects in orbit, or to extend its lifespan by conserving fuel.

3. How does a polar orbit change affect the line of sight time?

When a satellite is in a polar orbit, it will have a longer line of sight time compared to a satellite in an equatorial orbit. This is because the satellite will pass over the poles, which allows it to view a larger portion of the Earth's surface at once.

4. How does the line of sight time impact communication with satellites?

The longer the line of sight time, the longer the satellite can maintain communication with ground stations. This is beneficial for tasks such as data transmission, remote sensing, and navigation.

5. Are there any drawbacks to changing a satellite's orbit to a polar orbit?

One potential drawback is that polar orbits require more energy to maintain compared to equatorial orbits, which can lead to a shorter lifespan for the satellite. Additionally, polar orbits may not be ideal for certain types of missions, such as those that require constant communication with satellites in geostationary orbits.