Polar vector to rectangular equation

In summary: Then plot x(t) and y(t) on an xy-plane. That will give you a plot of r(t), which is what you want.In summary, the problem is to come up with an equation that models the path of a projectile in an xy-plane. The given information includes the parametric equation r(t)={[100cos(60)t], [4+100sin(60)t-16t2]}, with values for v0, θ, and h. To solve this problem, you need to evaluate r(t) in terms of t and plot x(t) and y(t) on an xy-plane. This will give you the desired equation for the path of the projectile.
x14ace

Homework Statement

The problem I'm stuck on is to come up with an equation which will model the path of the projectile in an xy-plane.
We are given:
r(t)={ [(v0cos(θ))t], [h+(v0sin(θ))t-(½)gt2] }
v0=100 ft/s
θ=60°
h=4 ft
so basically,
r(t)={[100cos(60)t], [4+100sin(60)t-16t2]}

Homework Equations

I know that:
x=rcosθ
y=rsinθ
tanθ=y/x

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to get the t out for both components.
x=100cos(60)t
x=50t
t=x/50

y=4+100sin(60)t-16t2
y=4+86.6t-16t2
I used the quadratic equation and ended up with
t(0)=(-86.6±88.1)/8 =-21.83, 0.1875
I thought that when I solved for the t's and set them equal to each other, I would get an equation in xy coordinates but I'm not sure where to go from here.

I also tried to use x=rcosθ
since x=50t,
50t=rcos(60)
r=100t
x2+y2=r2
so (50t)2+y2=(100t)2
y2ends up equalling 7500t2
and I'm back to being stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ace, welcome to PF :smile: !
Seems to me you mistake r(t) for a vector in polar coordinates ##\vec r(t) =(r(t),\theta(t))##.
It is given to you already in cartesian (rectangular) coordinates: ##\vec r(t) = (x(t), y(t))##

My guess is you now need to convert to y(x) to draw the trajectory (but I can't conclude that from the problem statement -- could also be the exercise wants ##(r(t),\theta(t)) ##

[edit] when I read again, I think you are well underway writing ##x(t) = v_0\cos\theta t \Rightarrow t = x/(v_0\cos\theta)## and substitute that t in the expression for y.

Likes x14ace
x14ace said:

Homework Statement

The problem I'm stuck on is to come up with an equation which will model the path of the projectile in an xy-plane.
We are given:
r(t)={ [(v0cos(θ))t], [h+(v0sin(θ))t-(½)gt2] }
v0=100 ft/s
θ=60°
h=4 ft
so basically,

Homework Equations

I know that:
x=rcosθ
y=rsinθ
tanθ=y/x

These equations in Section 2 are unnecessary.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to get the t out for both components.
Why? Don't you think the path of a projectile depends on the time variable t?

This is an example of what is known as a parametric equation, one where the values of x and y depend on, or are expressed, in terms of another variable called a parameter. In this case, the parameter is time, or t. Sometimes the parameter can be eliminated, but this is not always necessary nor desirable.

x=100cos(60)t
x=50t
t=x/50

y=4+100sin(60)t-16t2
y=4+86.6t-16t2
I used the quadratic equation and ended up with
t(0)=(-86.6±88.1)/8 =-21.83, 0.1875
I thought that when I solved for the t's and set them equal to each other, I would get an equation in xy coordinates but I'm not sure where to go from here.

I also tried to use x=rcosθ
since x=50t,
50t=rcos(60)
r=100t
x2+y2=r2
so (50t)2+y2=(100t)2
y2ends up equalling 7500t2
and I'm back to being stuck.

You had your answer back at the beginning:

All you needed to do was evaluate the terms of r(t) for which you were given values (like h and θ) and express r(t) in terms of t.

x(t) = 50t
y(t) = 4 + 86.6t-16t2

If you want to plot r(t), all you need to do is substitute different values of the parameter t and you can determine x(t) and y(t) from those.

Likes x14ace

Related to Polar vector to rectangular equation

What is a polar vector?

A polar vector is a mathematical representation of a vector in a polar coordinate system. It is defined by its magnitude (length) and direction (angle) relative to a reference point.

What is a rectangular equation?

A rectangular equation is a mathematical expression that describes a relationship between variables using the Cartesian coordinate system, where the variables are represented by x and y coordinates on a graph.

How do you convert a polar vector to a rectangular equation?

To convert a polar vector to a rectangular equation, you can use the following formulas:x = r * cosθy = r * sinθwhere r is the magnitude of the vector and θ is the angle of the vector relative to the x-axis. These formulas use trigonometric functions to determine the x and y coordinates of the vector in the rectangular coordinate system.

What are the advantages of using a polar vector?

One advantage of using a polar vector is that it can represent vectors with both magnitude and direction, making it useful in many scientific and engineering applications. Additionally, in some cases, polar coordinates can provide a simpler and more intuitive representation of a vector than rectangular coordinates.

Can a polar vector be converted to a rectangular vector without losing any information?

Yes, a polar vector can be converted to a rectangular vector without losing any information, as the formulas for conversion preserve both the magnitude and direction of the vector. However, the reverse is not always true, as converting a rectangular vector to a polar vector may result in a loss of precision or information.