Polarity and distribution coefficient

In summary, polarity refers to the separation of electric charges within a molecule, while the distribution coefficient is a measure of the distribution of a substance between two phases. Polarity and distribution coefficient are closely related, as polar substances tend to have higher distribution coefficients due to their ability to dissolve in both polar and non-polar solvents. This relationship is important in various fields, such as chemistry and environmental science, where understanding the behavior of substances is crucial. Additionally, the distribution coefficient can be calculated using various experimental methods and is often used to predict the behavior of a substance in different environments.
clairescribe
I need to determine polarity of 3 compounds in order to intuit the relationship between their distribution coefficients in Ch2Cl2 and H20.

The three compounds are benzoic acid (with a carboxyl group on a benzene ring), succinic acid (a straight chain with 2 terminal carboxyl groups), and sodium benzoate (and ionic carboxyl group on a bezene ring). I think the order is sodium benzoate (ionic) then succinic acid (no benzene ring) then benzoic acid in decreasing polarity. But I'm not certain. Can anyone comment?

Thanks~

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the succinic acid have an overall dipole moment?

dipole moment

there is no overall diploe moment mentioned.
thanks for responding.

no dipole moment either. whoops.

Would you say that benzoic acid has an overall polarity, a dipole moment?

ok. yes, all three have a dipole moment. benzoic acid's is the smallest as it has only one OH group to H-bond with. Succinic acid has 2 OH groups to H-bond with, and the sodium benzoate can form ionic bonds, trumping the other two.

Yes, you can correlate such matters with the solubility data which can be found on http://www.chemfinder.com, it took me a while to realize that all of this was pertinent to the topic of liquid-liquid extraction, I apologize for being so irrelevant.

Related to Polarity and distribution coefficient

1. What is polarity?

Polarity refers to the separation of electric charge within a molecule. A polar molecule has a positive and negative end, while a nonpolar molecule has an equal distribution of charge.

2. How is polarity determined?

Polarity is determined by the electronegativity difference between atoms in a molecule. The greater the difference, the more polar the molecule will be.

3. What is a distribution coefficient?

A distribution coefficient, also known as a partition coefficient, is a measure of how a substance distributes between two different phases, such as between a solvent and a solute.

4. How is distribution coefficient calculated?

The distribution coefficient is calculated by dividing the concentration of a substance in one phase by its concentration in the other phase.

5. What is the significance of polarity and distribution coefficient in chemistry?

Polarity and distribution coefficient play a crucial role in many chemical processes, including solubility, chemical reactions, and drug absorption in the body. Understanding these concepts is important in predicting the behavior of molecules and designing experiments and processes in various fields of chemistry.