Polarization and decreasing intensity of light to 10%

In summary: Just remember to always double check your work and make sure you're using the correct equations for the problem. Good job!In summary, the required value of θ, the angle between the transmission axes of the two polarizers, to decrease the intensity of a beam of unpolarized light to 10% of its original intensity using two polarizers is 63.4°. This is based on the Law of Malus, where S=So=cos2θ and 1/10*I=1/2*I*cos2θ.
aChordate

Homework Statement

In order to decrease the intensity of a beam of unpolarized light to 10% of its original
intensity using two polarizers, what is the required value of θ, the angle between the
transmission axes of the two polarizers?

Homework Equations

tanθB=n2/n1

The Attempt at a Solution

tanθB=n2/n1

I'm not sure how to do this. I read the section on polarization and there are no examples in the book.

Physics news on Phys.org
aChordate said:

Homework Statement

In order to decrease the intensity of a beam of unpolarized light to 10% of its original
intensity using two polarizers, what is the required value of θ, the angle between the
transmission axes of the two polarizers?

Homework Equations

tanθB=n2/n1

The Attempt at a Solution

tanθB=n2/n1

I'm not sure how to do this. I read the section on polarization and there are no examples in the book.

You seem to have mixed up Brewster's law with the Law of Malus. Check you textbook about the Law of Malus.

Likes 1 person
So my equation would change to S=So=cos2θ

Would it be:

1/10*I=1/2*I*cos2θ ?

1/5=cos2θ

θ=63.4°

?

aChordate said:
So my equation would change to S=So=cos2θ

Would it be:

1/10*I=1/2*I*cos2θ ?

1/5=cos2θ

θ=63.4°

?

Looks good to me.

I can provide some guidance on how to approach this problem. First, let's review the concept of polarization. Polarization is the process of restricting the vibrations of light to a single plane. This can be achieved by using a polarizer, which is a material that only allows light waves with a specific orientation to pass through.

Now, in order to decrease the intensity of a beam of unpolarized light to 10% of its original intensity, we need to use two polarizers. The first polarizer will polarize the light, and the second polarizer will further restrict the vibrations of the light to a single plane. This will result in a decrease in intensity.

The angle between the transmission axes of the two polarizers, θ, is important because it determines the amount of light that can pass through. The transmission axis of a polarizer is the direction in which the light can pass through. So, if the transmission axes of the two polarizers are parallel, then all of the light that passes through the first polarizer can also pass through the second polarizer. However, if the transmission axes are perpendicular, then no light can pass through the second polarizer.

In this problem, we are given that we want to decrease the intensity of the light to 10% of its original intensity. This means that only 10% of the light can pass through the second polarizer. So, we need to find the angle θ that will result in only 10% of the light passing through the second polarizer.

To do this, we can use the equation tanθB=n2/n1, where n1 is the index of refraction of the first polarizer and n2 is the index of refraction of the second polarizer. We can also substitute 10% for n2/n1, since we want to decrease the intensity to 10%.

So, our equation becomes tanθB=0.1. To solve for θ, we can use a scientific calculator to take the inverse tangent (tan^-1) of 0.1, which gives us an angle of approximately 5.71 degrees.

Therefore, the required value of θ, the angle between the transmission axes of the two polarizers, is approximately 5.71 degrees in order to decrease the intensity of the light to 10% of its original intensity.

Related to Polarization and decreasing intensity of light to 10%

1. What is polarization and how does it affect light intensity?

Polarization is the phenomenon in which the vibrations of light waves are restricted to a specific direction. This can occur when light reflects off a surface or passes through certain materials. When light is polarized, its intensity decreases because the polarized waves are no longer oscillating in all directions.

2. Can all types of light be polarized?

No, not all types of light can be polarized. Only light waves that have a transverse nature can be polarized. This includes light waves from the visible spectrum, as well as X-rays and radio waves.

3. How is the intensity of polarized light reduced to 10%?

The intensity of polarized light can be reduced to 10% by using a polarizing filter. This filter contains aligned molecules that only allow light waves vibrating in a specific direction to pass through. By adjusting the angle of the filter, the intensity of light can be reduced to 10%.

4. What are some applications of polarized light?

Polarized light has many applications in science and technology. It is used in polarized sunglasses to reduce glare, in LCD screens to control the amount of light passing through, and in photography to enhance color and contrast. It is also used in various scientific experiments, such as studying the properties of crystals and detecting stress in materials.

5. How does the intensity and polarization of light affect its behavior?

The intensity and polarization of light play a significant role in how it behaves. For example, polarized light can be reflected or transmitted through certain materials depending on its polarization direction. Additionally, the intensity of light affects its brightness and the amount of energy it carries. Understanding these factors is crucial in various fields, from optics and materials science to astronomy and environmental studies.