Polarization of the wave function

In summary, the given wave function for an electron can be simplified as Ψ(θ,φ,r)= f(r,θ)·[exp(-iφ)+exp(-2iφ)]. It is determined that the electron does spin around the z axis and the polarization is likely dextrogyre and elliptical. The possible values of Lz and their respective probabilities can be determined by looking at a table of spherical harmonics and using the orthonormality of the wave function. However, the kinetic energy of rotation cannot be determined without knowing the value of l, which cannot be deduced from the given statement. The most efficient way to verify answers is by applying the appropriate operator on the eigenfunction decomposition of the wavefunction
Javier141241

Homework Statement

Given the wave function Ψ(θ,φ,r)= f(r,θ)·[cosφ+cos2φ-i(senφ+sen2φ)] for an electron.
(φ is the azimut)

-Does it spin arround the z axis?
-What kind of polarization has? It is dextrogyre or levoryre?
-What are the posible values of Lz and what are they respective probabilites?
-Can be determinated the kinetic energy of rotation?

Homework Equations

-Spherical harmonics (Ylm )

-Lz=mh with m=0,±1,±2,...

The Attempt at a Solution

The expression can be simplified as

Ψ(θ,φ,r)=f(r,θ)·[exp(-iφ)+exp(-2iφ)]

For the first question,since it has dependence on φ i would say It does spin arround the z axis.

For the third,If I would like to know the posible values of Lz and the probabilities , I would have to look at a table of spherical harmonics, express Ψ(θ,φ,r) as

Ψ(θ,φ,r)=A·Rnl·Yl-1+B·Rnl·Yl-2
And then apply that <Lz>=<ψ|Lz|ψ> , and using the orthonormality of the wave function i would get and expression for Lz

<Lz>=A2·(-ħ)+B2·(-2ħ)
Now my problem is I can't get from the statement expression to one of the kind
Ψ(θ,φ,r)=A·Rnl·Yl-1+B·Rnl·Yl-2
without having one of the terms A or B dependency on θ.

For the polarization question
Ψ(θ,φ,r)=f(r,θ)·[exp(-iφ)+exp(-2iφ)]=Ψ(θ,φ,r)=f(r,θ)·[1+exp(-iφ)]·exp(-iφ)=f(r,θ)·[exp(iφ)+1]exp(-2iφ)
I can see its not linear but I am not sure wheter or not is circular,eliptical, dextrogyre or levogyre. (I would go with dextrogyre and eliptical,but can't really justify it)

For the last question, since Krot=L2/2mr2 , and L2 could be any value ( since it depends on l,and l can't be deduced from the statement),I can't determinate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be verifying your answers from intuition/by inspection by applying the appropriate operator.

Of course it is easiest to use the operator on the eignenvector decomposition of the wavefunction: write out the wavefunction as a linear sum of appropriate eigenfunctions ... you do this by exploiting the fact that the eigenfunctions form a basis, and you already know what they are. You are basically just changing basis.

You could also, in a pinch, apply the differential form of the operators and just do that math.

Related to Polarization of the wave function

1. What is the wave function in quantum mechanics?

The wave function in quantum mechanics represents the probability amplitude of a particle's location in space and time. It is a mathematical function that describes the quantum state of a system.

2. What does it mean for the wave function to be polarized?

When the wave function is polarized, it means that the particle's location in space and time is confined to a specific direction or orientation. This can occur when the particle is subjected to an external electric or magnetic field.

3. How does the polarization of the wave function affect the behavior of particles?

The polarization of the wave function can affect the behavior of particles by limiting their movement to a particular direction or orientation. This can also influence the interactions between particles and other particles or fields.

4. Can the polarization of the wave function be changed?

Yes, the polarization of the wave function can be changed through interactions with external forces. For example, passing a particle through a polarizing filter can alter its wave function and therefore its behavior.

5. How is the polarization of the wave function measured?

The polarization of the wave function can be measured through various techniques, such as observing the particle's behavior in a polarizing field or using specialized equipment to measure its polarization state. However, due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, the exact polarization of the wave function can never be known with certainty.