Police car problem. i need it in an hour

• Thread starter iffanytay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an unmarked police car and a speeder. Using the equations x=xo+vot+1/2at^2, the participants try to determine how much time elapses after the police car is passed until it overtakes the speeder. The conversation includes suggestions to convert units, calculate distances, and create a system of equations to solve the problem. However, the answer is not provided as it would defeat the purpose of the assignment.
iffanytay
An unmarked police car, traveling a constant 87.0km/hr, is passed by a speeder traveling 134km/hr. Precisely 1.11s after the speeder passes, the policeman steps on the accelerator. If the police car's acceleration is 1.94m/s2, how much time elapses after the police car is passed until it overtakes the speeder (assumed moving at constant speed)?

anything!

Physics news on Phys.org
iffanytay said:
An unmarked police car, traveling a constant 87.0km/hr, is passed by a speeder traveling 134km/hr. Precisely 1.11s after the speeder passes, the policeman steps on the accelerator. If the police car's acceleration is 1.94m/s2, how much time elapses after the police car is passed until it overtakes the speeder (assumed moving at constant speed)?

anything!
Do a distance - time graph for each of the vehicles. What is the relationship between the co-ordinates (distance and time) of the two cars when the police car overtakes the speeder?

AM

thank you ill try that. does anyone know how to do it using the x=xo+vot+1/2at^2 equation?

iffanytay said:

anything!

Rather than looking for an equation, why don't you start by figuring all the things you know?

First of all convert everything to m/sec before you get tripped up by that.
87 km/hr = ? m/s
134 km/hr = ? m/s

Next how far past the police does the speeder get before the police car starts up? You need that distance

Starting from t=0 when the police steps on the gas, what is the distance the police will go considering his initial velocity and constant acceleration 1.94? This will be an equation that describes his X-position as a function of time.

The speeder has his own equation that describes his position as a function of time from the same t=0. What is it? (Remember he has the 1.11 sec * his speed head start)

You should have two equations that describe each car's position as a function of time. When they are equal to each other - guess what that = caught.

I already converted and I've set the individual problems up for each car so many times but somehow i just get lost. I don't know what to do once i get to that point.

iffanytay said:
thank you ill try that. does anyone know how to do it using the x=xo+vot+1/2at^2 equation?

Is this a calculus based course or a non-calculus based course?

its non-calculus.

can someone just walk me through it and explain the whole thing. that would be the most helpful.

iffanytay said:
I already converted and I've set the individual problems up for each car so many times but somehow i just get lost. I don't know what to do once i get to that point.

Write out your equation here and we can help you.

Since this is a non-Calculus based course, you have already been given the equations you need to solve it, as you already listed: x=xo+vot+1/2at^2

This is a standard position equation. What you need to do is take the data given to you in the problem, create a system of equations using that position equation; one for the police car, one for the speeder, then see where they intersect. Then you will have x and t (position and time). You will have to modify the equation for the policemen to adjust for the 1.11 second delay.

if anyone has the answer please can i have it. i keep getting so lost when i try to set the equations equal to each other and it is due really soon.

iffanytay said:
if anyone has the answer please can i have it. i keep getting so lost when i try to set the equations equal to each other and it is due really soon.

Sorry, can't give you the answer. I would help you solve it, if you had ever posted your work. Besides, I already showed you how to go about it.

What joy would a grade be if it wasn't yours?

Related to Police car problem. i need it in an hour

What is the "Police car problem"?

The "Police car problem" is a mathematical puzzle that involves determining the minimum number of police cars needed to chase a speeding car on a circular track without any of the cars colliding.

What is the history of the "Police car problem"?

The "Police car problem" was first introduced in 1968 by mathematician Leonard Euler. It has since been studied by many mathematicians and has been used as a teaching tool in various math courses.

What is the solution to the "Police car problem"?

The minimum number of police cars needed to chase a speeding car on a circular track is 3. This solution was proven by mathematician Leonard Euler and has been verified by many other mathematicians.

What are the real-world applications of the "Police car problem"?

The "Police car problem" has real-world applications in traffic control and optimization. It can also be used to understand the dynamics of multiple moving objects in a confined space.

Are there any variations of the "Police car problem"?

Yes, there are variations of the "Police car problem" that involve different shapes of tracks or different types of vehicles. Some variations also introduce additional constraints, making the problem more complex and challenging.