Police Car Sound Intensity Change

In summary, the sound intensity of a police siren can be calculated using the equation A^2*f^2, and when the police car is 220 meters away from the scene of an accident, the siren blares at 75dB. To find the sound intensity when the car is 55 meters away, we can use the equation [4(pi)r^2]^-1=I and convert from dB to W/m^2 using the formula 1.0E-12e^(I/10)=Intensity in W/m^2.
JumpinJohny

Homework Statement

A police siren produces a sound whose frequency range from 635Hz to 912Hz. When the police car is 220 meters from from the scene of an accident, the sirens blare at 75dB. How many decibels higher will the sound intensity be when the police car is 55m away?

Homework Equations

The sound intensity = A^2*f^2, but I'm not sure if I am missing something there.

The Attempt at a Solution

If that equation is right, then I'd use ((220^2)(f^2))-((55^2)(f^2)); I'm stuck after that :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
well I am not 100% sure on how to solve this either, but we know the sound is expanding as a shell. As that shell expands it will become less and less intense. and we set up an equation where Intensity2/intensity1=radius1^2/radius2^2 based the equation [4(pi)r^2]^-1=I

also make sure to convert from dB into W/m^2

Do you know what that conversion is?

I know dB is a logarythmic, rather than a linear scale, so be carefull of that. I'm not sure if it's base 2 log or something else.

10dbxlog(base10)([intensity in W/m^2]/[1.0E^-12w/M^2]=Intensity in Db

so somebody needs to rearrange that but I can't do all the work.., ok maybe I will.

I/10=log(I/1.0E^-12)
e^(I/10)=I/1.0E^-12
1.0E-12e^(I/10)=Intensity in W/m^2

FAQ: Police Car Sound Intensity Change

1. How does the sound intensity of a police car siren change?

The sound intensity of a police car siren changes depending on the distance between the siren and the listener, as well as the speed and direction of the police car. As the distance increases, the sound intensity decreases due to the spreading of sound waves. The Doppler effect also plays a role in the change of sound intensity as the police car moves towards or away from the listener.

2. What factors affect the change in sound intensity of a police car siren?

The main factors that affect the change in sound intensity of a police car siren are distance, speed, direction, and the environment. As mentioned before, the sound intensity decreases with distance and is affected by the Doppler effect. The speed and direction of the police car can also impact the sound intensity. Additionally, the environment, such as buildings or other objects, can reflect or absorb sound waves, causing changes in sound intensity.

3. How is the sound intensity of a police car siren measured?

The sound intensity of a police car siren can be measured using a decibel (dB) meter. This device measures the intensity of sound in decibels, with 0 dB being the threshold of human hearing and anything above 120 dB being considered extremely loud. The dB meter can be placed at different distances from the siren to measure the change in sound intensity.

4. How is the sound intensity of a police car siren affected by different siren types?

The sound intensity of a police car siren can vary depending on the type of siren used. For example, a dual-tone siren may have a different sound intensity than a traditional single-tone siren. Additionally, the placement and number of sirens on the police car can also impact the sound intensity. However, all sirens used on police cars must meet noise regulations set by the government.

5. Can the change in sound intensity of a police car siren be harmful to human hearing?

The change in sound intensity of a police car siren can potentially be harmful to human hearing, especially at close distances. Exposure to loud noises above 85 dB for an extended period can cause permanent hearing damage. Therefore, it is important for individuals to protect their ears when near a police car with its siren on and for police departments to follow regulations and guidelines for siren usage.