Poly(p-phenylene-2,6-benzobisoxazole) - Zylon

• Thread starter M_K301
  • Start date
During heat treatment, the polymer chains in Zylon rearrange to form a more ordered and compact structure, further increasing its strength and thermal properties. This explains why Zylon is commonly used in the production of Ballistic Vests. In summary, Zylon is a thermosetting polymer that forms crosslinks through curing agents and has good flame retardancy, high limiting oxygen index, and high decomposition temperature due to its chemical structure.
M_K301
I am researching polymers used in making Ballistic Vests and Zylon, Poly(p-phenylene-2,6-benzobisoxazole), is one of the polymers chosen.

Basic Information/ Structure:
http://www.matweb.com/search/datasheet.aspx?matguid=140045b4f06c4aea89f8900f4c7bb4fc&ckck=1"
http://www.toyobo.co.jp/e/seihin/kc/pbo/gif/structure.jpg

PBO is a thermosetting polymers however I cannot figure out how it can form cross-links or hydrogen bonds which make polymers thermosetting.

So I was wondering how it forms crosslinks to make it a thermosetting polymer.

And I also was wondering why it has such good flame retardancy, high limiting oxygen index and high decomposition temperature (650 C).

I know that the oxygen and nitrogen in the oxazoline are partially negative which can act as hydrogen bonds acceptor but there are no positive hydrogen from what I can tell. I thought maybe the compound structure could change to form crosslinks or hydrogen bonds when heat treated but couldn't find information.Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thermosetting polymers form crosslinks through the use of curing agents. These curing agents can be either in the form of a catalyst or an additive. The curing agent helps to break apart the polymer chains and form covalent bonds between them, forming a stronger network of molecules. This strong network makes it more difficult for the polymer chains to move, resulting in a thermoset material that is not easily deformed by heat or pressure. The good flame retardancy, high limiting oxygen index, and high decomposition temperature of Zylon, Poly(p-phenylene-2,6-benzobisoxazole), is due to its chemical structure. The oxazoline ring in the structure contains both oxygen and nitrogen atoms which gives it good flame retardancy. The oxygen atoms also act as both hydrogen bond donors and acceptors, allowing for strong intermolecular interactions that result in a higher decomposition temperature. In addition, the aromatic rings in the structure are highly resistant to oxidation, leading to the high limiting oxygen index.

Related to Poly(p-phenylene-2,6-benzobisoxazole) - Zylon

What is Poly(p-phenylene-2,6-benzobisoxazole) - Zylon?

Poly(p-phenylene-2,6-benzobisoxazole) - Zylon, also known as PBO or Zylon, is a synthetic polymer that is known for its high strength and heat resistance. It is often used in high-performance materials such as body armor, ropes, and cables.

How is Poly(p-phenylene-2,6-benzobisoxazole) - Zylon made?

Poly(p-phenylene-2,6-benzobisoxazole) - Zylon is made through a chemical reaction between terephthaloyl chloride and 3,3'-diaminobenzidine. This creates a long chain polymer that is then spun into fibers and woven into various materials.

What are the properties of Poly(p-phenylene-2,6-benzobisoxazole) - Zylon?

Poly(p-phenylene-2,6-benzobisoxazole) - Zylon is known for its exceptional strength, stiffness, and heat resistance. It has a tensile strength that is five times stronger than steel and is resistant to many chemicals and UV radiation. It also has a low coefficient of thermal expansion and is lightweight.

What are the potential applications of Poly(p-phenylene-2,6-benzobisoxazole) - Zylon?

Poly(p-phenylene-2,6-benzobisoxazole) - Zylon has a wide range of potential applications due to its high strength and heat resistance. It is commonly used in body armor, ropes and cables, protective gear, and aerospace materials. It also has potential uses in the medical field, such as in surgical sutures and implants.

What are the safety concerns surrounding Poly(p-phenylene-2,6-benzobisoxazole) - Zylon?

While Poly(p-phenylene-2,6-benzobisoxazole) - Zylon is known for its exceptional properties, there have been some safety concerns raised about its use in body armor. Studies have shown that it can degrade over time and lose its strength, potentially putting users at risk. It is important to carefully monitor and maintain PBO-based equipment for safety purposes.