Polynomial factorization question.

In summary, the problem is to factorize the polynomial (x+1)(x+2)(x+3)(x+6)-3x2. After expanding, it can be written as x4+12x3+44x2+72x+36. An educated guess can be made by noticing that the polynomial can be written as (x2+ax+b)(x2+cx+d). By setting up equations using the coefficients obtained from the expanded polynomial, the missing terms can be found.
agoogler

Homework Statement

Factorize :

(x+1) (x+2) (x+3) (x+6)-3 x2

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

Expanding everything , I get x4+12x3+44x2+72x+36 .
At this point I tried few guesses using rational roots test. But it appears this has no rational roots. So how should I factor this polynomial ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you can utilize that your 4th order polynomial can be written as (x2+ax+b)(x2+cx+d)? (hint: write up the equations relating the unknown a, b, c and d to your polynomial and see if any of those equations makes it easier to make a guess for some of the unknowns).

= (x + 1) (x + 2) (x + 3) (x + 6) - 3x2
= x4 + 12x3 + 44x2 + 72x + 36

An educated guess is:

= (x2 + ... + 6) (x2 + ... + 6)

The missing terms can be found through simple equations involving the coefficients that you obtained when you expanded the initial polynomial.

Last edited:
Besulzbach, please do not provide "complete solutions" in the homework sections. A hint or two that can point the poster in the right direction from where they are stuck is usually better.

So, should I delete that? I'm used to Yahoo! Answers and here things seem to be different.

besulzbach said:
So, should I delete that?

Changing your post, as you have also done now, so it only hints the way forward is perfect. :thumbs:

The idea in the homework section of this forum is to help people understand and not to do their homework for them, and providing a full solutions makes it too tempting for people to skip the understanding part, especially if it has to be handed in real soon. Its for the same reason people are asked to show the work they have done up to the point where they are stuck so we know that the poster has put some effort into solving the problem at hand. Greg explains the actual rules in more details under forum menu Site Info / Rules & Guidelines in the section Homework Help Guidelines.

Likes 1 person

Related to Polynomial factorization question.

What is polynomial factorization?

Polynomial factorization is the process of breaking down a polynomial equation into simpler, smaller factors that can be multiplied together to get the original polynomial.

Why is polynomial factorization important?

Polynomial factorization is important because it allows us to solve polynomial equations and find their roots, which can have real or complex values. It also helps in simplifying complicated expressions and identifying patterns in data.

What are the methods of polynomial factorization?

There are several methods of polynomial factorization, including grouping, factoring by grouping, difference of squares, sum and difference of cubes, and polynomial long division. Each method is useful for factoring different types of polynomial equations.

What are the common mistakes when factorizing polynomials?

One common mistake when factorizing polynomials is forgetting to check for common factors first. Another mistake is not applying the correct method for factorization, or not checking the factors for accuracy. It is also important to watch out for errors in signs and coefficients during the process.

Can all polynomials be factored?

No, not all polynomials can be factored. Some polynomials may have complex or irrational roots that cannot be factored into real numbers. However, most polynomials with integer coefficients can be factored using various methods.