Popsicle Stick Bombs have you seen these before?

• Thread starter The Maker
  • Start date
In summary: I also think that this are the oldest bombs.In summary, the concept of tension, potential energy, and explosive kinetic energy is explained in this video.
The Maker
Hello,

I recently made a video called "Popsicle Stick Bombs: Cobra Weave And More Kinetic Fun!". This video is about the power of tension, potential, and kinetic energy. I hope that you enjoy, and please tell me whether you have heard of this concept before or have seen this on TV or in any other youtube videos. Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
No video visible, just a black square. There is a video embed tool in the PF post editor.

Likes robphy
Did that work?

Works for me. Where did you find all of these?

I found out about them a few years ago on youtube. I recently decided to make a video about the ones I know how to make.

Pretty cool. Knowing what you know about how those work, have you made any unique ones of your own? What are the basic principles at work with these? :smile:

Let's see some with popsicle sticks dyed various colors - maybe a portrait of someone?

berkeman said:
Pretty cool. Knowing what you know about how those work, have you made any unique ones of your own? What are the basic principles at work with these? :smile:
I have not made any unique ones, I am sorry to say. The basic principles are tension, potential energy, and explosive kinetic energy. Some people call it kinetic art.

Stephen Tashi said:
Let's see some with popsicle sticks dyed various colors - maybe a portrait of someone?
I may actually die some stick, but a portrait is probably beyond me.

When I saw the title I thought of the simple Popsicle stick "bombs" we use to make as kids:
popstickbomb.png

(please excuse the rough rendering)

You tossed them in the air and when they hit the floor, the sticks would "explode" off in different directions.

Janus said:
When I saw the title I thought of the simple Popsicle stick "bombs" we use to make as kids:
View attachment 195297
(please excuse the rough rendering)

You tossed them in the air and when they hit the floor, the sticks would "explode" off in different directions.
Yeah, we used to make these, and also the ones that are square, that take one or two more sticks.

Those are the both in my video near the beginning. I also think that this are the oldest bombs.

Related to Popsicle Stick Bombs have you seen these before?

1. What are Popsicle Stick Bombs?

Popsicle Stick Bombs are intricate structures made by weaving together Popsicle sticks in a specific pattern. When the structure is released, it expands and creates a chain reaction, causing the sticks to fly out in all directions.

2. How do Popsicle Stick Bombs work?

Popsicle Stick Bombs work through potential energy stored in the woven structure. When the structure is released, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the sticks to fly outwards in a chain reaction.

3. Are Popsicle Stick Bombs dangerous?

Popsicle Stick Bombs can be dangerous if not handled properly. The flying sticks can cause injury if they hit someone, and the force of the explosion can also cause damage to nearby objects. It is important to follow safety precautions and have adult supervision when making and setting off Popsicle Stick Bombs.

4. Can Popsicle Stick Bombs be used for any practical applications?

While Popsicle Stick Bombs may seem like a fun science experiment, they do not have any practical applications. They are mostly used as a form of entertainment and to demonstrate scientific concepts like potential and kinetic energy.

5. Can anyone make a Popsicle Stick Bomb?

Yes, anyone can make a Popsicle Stick Bomb as long as they follow the proper instructions and safety precautions. It may take some practice to get the weaving pattern right, but with patience and attention to detail, anyone can create a Popsicle Stick Bomb.