Popular physics - The Nebra disk

In summary, the paper "Evidences of the earliest Supernova observation in the Nebra disk" by R.G. Pizzone has drawn in an audience not normally interested in astronomy due to its brevity and pedagogical execution. However, some have questioned its quality and validity. The paper may have been overlooked and could potentially fit better in a "spurious" or "gratuitous" forum. Nevertheless, it has sparked imagination and curiosity, reminiscent of works by Erich von Daniken.
sbrothy
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Archaeological evidence of first supernova sighting way before BCE
Popular Physics.

"Evidences of the earliest Supernova observation in the Nebra disk
R.G. Pizzone"

---- https://arxiv.org/abs/2005.07411I know this isn't exactly breaking news and I cannot comment of the quality or validity of the research, but I've found that due to the brevity of the paper and it's pedagoical execution it has a tendency to draw in an audience not normally interested in astronomy.

And with that I mean barely literate people who nevertheless enjoy the drawings and continuity of the religious awe of the event.

It may have been a little overlooked?

Regards,
Søren

[Should maybe have ben posted in the general forum. I couldn't find an archaeology or spurious forum. :). As alway,s, feel free to move. Goes without saying I know.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
sbrothy said:
It may have been a little overlooked?

My reaction was "Every time someone say we don't need peer-review, someone posts a paper like this on the arXiv."

The exact same argument could be used to prove that back then the moon was transparent. You can see stars shine right through it!

Last edited:
Yeah, that's why I wrote it might fit better in a "spurious" (or perhaps even "gratitious" forum). But still, it does trigger the imagination and curiosity. Although I imagine the same could be said of some perpetuum mobile contraption.

Popular physics indeed.

[EDIT: In fact, the paper reminds me a little of Erich von Daniken :)]

Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur
Erich von Daniken
1597678233060.png

Likes sophiecentaur, sbrothy and Ibix
Heh. :) very apt.

Related to Popular physics - The Nebra disk

1. What is the Nebra disk?

The Nebra disk is an ancient bronze disk that is believed to be a representation of the night sky. It is approximately 30 cm in diameter and has a blue-green patina on its surface.

2. Where was the Nebra disk found?

The Nebra disk was found in Germany, specifically in the state of Saxony-Anhalt. It was discovered by treasure hunters in 1999 and was eventually sold to a private collector before being recovered by authorities.

3. How old is the Nebra disk?

The Nebra disk is estimated to be around 3,600 years old, dating back to the Bronze Age. It is considered to be one of the oldest representations of the night sky in human history.

4. What is the significance of the Nebra disk?

The Nebra disk is significant because it provides insight into the astronomical knowledge and beliefs of the people during the Bronze Age. It also shows the importance of the night sky in their culture and possibly their use of it for navigation and agriculture.

5. How was the Nebra disk created?

The Nebra disk was most likely created using a combination of casting and hammering techniques. The gold and bronze inlays were added after the disk was cast, and the intricate designs were created using a hammer and chisel.

Back