Position of a particle and photons

In summary: Now I'm confused. I thought that the uncertainty principle wasn't about measurement but about preparation, i.e. that the principle described the combined standard deviations of say momentum and position in the presence of measurements.That's correct. The uncertainty principle is about the uncertainty in the outcome of a measurement, not about the uncertainty in the measurements themselves.First, because prior to the measurement, you don't know where the particle is, so you can't shoot a tightly collimated photon (one whose momentum you know in advance) at it.Second, because you can't control how much of the photon's momentum gets transferred to the particle.
Maslova
Once I have read that we can’t know a actual position of a particle because to see the particle we need to send photons and when we send photons it colides with the particle and change it’s position. Is this true?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maslova said:
I have read

Can you give a specific reference?

Likes Maslova
PeterDonis said:
Can you give a specific reference?

but it’s in Portuguese
1F7CFF63-755A-4ACE-8590-D29621119FEF.jpeg

Maslova said:
it’s in Portuguese

What is the title of the book, or article, or whatever it is? Is there an English translation?

Likes Maslova
PeterDonis said:
What is the title of the book, or article, or whatever it is? Is there an English translation?
This is the book. Just in Portuguese
15674A5A-0319-472F-AC0B-36ECF36E6B9E.jpeg

Likes PeroK
Maslova said:
This is the book.

What kind of book is it? Is it a textbook? A popular science book?

Likes Maslova
PeterDonis said:
What kind of book is it? Is it a textbook? A popular science book?
Scientific divulgation

Maslova said:
Scientific divulgation

I don't know what "divulgation" means.

Likes Maslova
PeterDonis said:
I don't know what "divulgation" means.
Science popularization, science communication

Maslova said:
Science popularization, science communication

Ok, that was the impression I got from looking the book up on Amazon. Popularizations are generally not good sources for learning the actual science.

In this particular case, the book appears to be describing the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics. However, the description you give, which I assume is based on what the book says, is not quite correct. The uncertainty principle does not place any limit on how accurately you can measure a particle's position. What it does place a limit on is this: the more accurately you measure the particle's position, the greater the uncertainty in its momentum will be after the measurement.

For example, if you are measuring the position with a photon, the uncertainty in the position measurement is approximately the wavelength of the photon, so to make the position measurement very accurate you will have to use a photon of very short wavelength. But such a photon will have a very large momentum, so when it collides with the particle it will change the particle's momentum by a very large, unknown amount.

Likes Maslova
PeterDonis said:
Ok, that was the impression I got from looking the book up on Amazon. Popularizations are generally not good sources for learning the actual science.

In this particular case, the book appears to be describing the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics. However, the description you give, which I assume is based on what the book says, is not quite correct. The uncertainty principle does not place any limit on how accurately you can measure a particle's position. What it does place a limit on is this: the more accurately you measure the particle's position, the greater the uncertainty in its momentum will be after the measurement.

For example, if you are measuring the position with a photon, the uncertainty in the position measurement is approximately the wavelength of the photon, so to make the position measurement very accurate you will have to use a photon of very short wavelength. But such a photon will have a very large momentum, so when it collides with the particle it will change the particle's momentum by a very large, unknown amount.
Thanks for the explanation! 🤩

PeterDonis said:
But such a photon will have a very large momentum, so when it collides with the particle it will change the particle's momentum by a very large, unknown amount.
Why unknown?

Demystifier said:
Why unknown?

First, because prior to the measurement, you don't know where the particle is, so you can't shoot a tightly collimated photon (one whose momentum you know in advance) at it.

Second, because you can't control how much of the photon's momentum gets transferred to the particle.

Likes Demystifier
PeterDonis said:

Now I'm confused. I thought that the uncertainty principle wasn't about measurement but about preparation, i.e. that the principle described the combined standard deviations of say momentum and position in the preparation.

Cheers

cosmik debris said:
I thought that the uncertainty principle wasn't about measurement but about preparation

A measurement is a preparation in the sense you are using the term here. The more general way of looking at it is that the uncertainty principle is a restriction on states: any physically realizable state of the particle must have combined standard deviations of momentum and position that satisfy the uncertainty principle.

To be fair to the book, it does appear to be talking about the uncertainties in pairs of measurements (duas variáveis - two variables) having a product not less than ##h/2\pi##. But (at least in the excerpt above) it doesn't seem to explain that these are specific pairs of measurements (e.g. position and momentum). And it does talk about bouncing photons off your object of interest but doesn't explain (at least on that page) about the high energy photons needed to get more precise position measurements and why that might lead to greater uncertainty in momentum.

Related to Position of a particle and photons

1. What is the position of a particle?

The position of a particle refers to its location in space at a given time. It is typically described using a coordinate system, such as Cartesian coordinates, where the particle's position is represented by a set of numerical values.

2. How is the position of a particle measured?

The position of a particle can be measured using various techniques, depending on the type of particle and the precision required. Some common methods include using rulers or measuring tapes for macroscopic particles, and more advanced techniques such as electron microscopy for microscopic particles.

3. What is the uncertainty principle and how does it relate to the position of a particle?

The uncertainty principle, also known as Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. This means that the more precisely we measure the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa.

4. What are photons and how do they relate to the position of a particle?

Photons are particles of light that have both wave-like and particle-like properties. They are the fundamental units of electromagnetic radiation and do not have a well-defined position. Instead, their position can only be described in terms of a probability distribution, as they can exist in multiple places at the same time.

5. How does the position of a particle affect its behavior?

The position of a particle can have a significant impact on its behavior, as it determines how the particle will interact with its surroundings. For example, the position of an electron in an atom determines its energy level and can affect its ability to participate in chemical reactions. In the case of photons, their position can determine the direction and intensity of light as they travel through space.