Position of elevator given velocity vs time

In summary, the graph shows that the elevator's position changes by 0.895 meters between the time of 0 seconds and 2.1 seconds.
drjohn15

Homework Statement

You are consulting for an elevator company. During a safety test, technicians created the following graph of the velocity of the elevator versus time; you have been asked to interpret the graph. Unfortunately, you are told that the technician who printed the graph has made two mistakes. The labeled interval on the velocity axis should be 2.1 m/s rather than 2.0 m/s, and the labeled time interval should be 4.2 s rather than 4.0 s. You should begin by redrawing the graph on your own paper with the proper labels on the velocity and time axes.

Since this motion is purely one-dimensional, give your answers to the following questions using a coordinate system consisting of a y-axis in the Up-Down direction with Up as positive. Indicate directions by the appropriate plus or minus sign. Assume that the test begins (at time zero) with the elevator at position y0=-3.1 m (i.e. 3.1 meters below ground level -- ground level has been selected as the location at which y=0).

Homework Equations

Velocity vs Time:

##t = 0\ s##, ##v = 0\ m/s##
##t = 2.1\ s##, ##v = 2.1\ m/s##
##t = 4.2\ s##, ##v = 2.1\ m/s##
##t = 6.3\ s##, ##v = 2.1\ m/s##
##t = 8.4\ s##, ##v = 2.1\ m/s##
##t = 10.5\ s##, ##v = 0\ m/s##
##t = 12.6\ s##, ##v = 0\ m/s##
##t = 14.7\ s##, ##v = 0\ m/s##
##t = 16.8\ s##, ##v = -2.1\ m/s##
##t = 18.9\ s##, ##v = -2.1\ m/s##
##t = 21\ s##, ##v = 0\ m/s##

##v = Δy/Δt## (y is the variable in this case)

The Attempt at a Solution

What is the position of the elevator at time 2.1 seconds? ... 8.4 seconds? ... etc.

##v = 2.1\ m/s = \frac{y_f - (-3.1\ m)}{2.1\ s - 0\ s}##

##\Delta y = 4.41\ m = y_f + 3.1\ m##

##y_f = 1.31\ m##

This answer is incorrect and I'm not sure where I'm going wrong with this. I even tried to enter
##1.3\ m## and that was incorrect as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi drjohn15! welcome to pf! :smile:
drjohn15 said:
What is the position of the elevator at time 2.1 seconds? ... 8.4 seconds? ... etc.

##\Delta y = 4.41\ m = y_f + 3.1\ m##

##y_f = 1.31\ m##

This answer is incorrect and I'm not sure where I'm going wrong with this. I even tried to enter
##1.3\ m## and that was incorrect as well.

(why are your time increments 2.1 and not 4.2 ? :confused:)

it's difficult to tell without seeing the graph,

but i'll guess that the experiment started with he lift stationary for 2.1s, so that y2.1 is still 0 :smile:

tiny-tim said:
i'll guess that the experiment started with he lift stationary for 2.1s, so that y2.1 is still 0 :smile:
I'll make a different guess - that the graph shows a straight line from (0, 0) to (2, 4) (or whatever). If so, it underwent uniform acceleration for that time period.
drjohn15 said:
That formula would be right if 2.1 m/s were the average velocity for the first 2.1 s, but you are given it as the instantaneous velocity at the end of the first time period. If its speed increased uniformly from rest over that time, what was its average speed?

Thanks very much for the replies!

I've attached the given graph (didn't know how before).

Attachments

• fig-030.gif
    fig-030.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 1,453
haruspex said:
That formula would be right if 2.1 m/s were the average velocity for the first 2.1 s, but you are given it as the instantaneous velocity at the end of the first time period. If its speed increased uniformly from rest over that time, what was its average speed?

From the lecture, the average speed is: $$average\ speed = \frac{d}{\Delta t}$$ where ##d## is distance traveled, and ##\Delta t## is the time elapsed. So how would I find the distance traveled?

From the data that I've been given and the data that I've calculated previously, I'm a little lost as to where to go from here...

##velocity\ @\ t = 2.1\ s \rightarrow 2.1\ m/s##
##\Delta t = 2.1\ s##
##y_0 = -3.1\ m##

have you been taught about distance = area under the velocity graph?

(if not, forget i said it)

Likes 1 person
Well I am a beginning physics student, so the following may not be correct.
Since this is a velocity versus time graph, the slope is going to give you acceleration. That means you know initial velocity, final velocity, time, and acceleration. If I were solving this, I would plug that information into one of these equations:
x=x0+v0t+(1/2)at2
v2=v20+2aΔx
x=x0+0.5(v0+vf)t

Hopefully this helps in some way...

Sorry about the formulas...I'm still working on the latex thing.

tiny-tim said:
have you been taught about distance = area under the velocity graph?

(if not, forget i said it)

This is it!

##position\ @\ t = 2.1\ s \rightarrow -3.1\ m + \frac{2.1\ s * 2.1\ m/s}{2} = -0.895\ m##
##position\ @\ t = 8.4\ s \rightarrow -0.895\ m + 6.3\ s * 2.1\ s = 12.335\ m##
##...etc.##

Thanks again!

drjohn15 said:
From the lecture, the average speed is: $$average\ speed = \frac{d}{\Delta t}$$ where ##d## is distance traveled, and ##\Delta t## is the time elapsed.
Quite so, and that is always valid.
As I guessed, the graph shows uniform acceleration from t=0 to t=2.1 (i.e. a straight line on the velocity-time graph). It follows that the average speed vavg is the average of the initial and final speeds, (0+2.1)/2 = 1.05m/s. So you can use these two equations to find the distance traveled: d = vavg*Δt = 1.05*2.1. Note that taking the average of the initial and final speeds is only valid for constant acceleration. You should also be able to see how this relates to areas on the graph.

Likes 1 person

Related to Position of elevator given velocity vs time

1. What is the position of the elevator at a given time if its velocity is constant?

If the elevator's velocity is constant, then its position at a given time can be calculated by multiplying the velocity by the time. This is because velocity is defined as the rate of change of position over time. So, if the velocity is constant, the position changes at a constant rate and can be calculated using basic kinematic equations.

2. How does the position of the elevator change if its velocity is increasing or decreasing?

If the elevator's velocity is increasing, the position will change at an increasing rate. This means that the elevator will cover more distance in a given amount of time. On the other hand, if the velocity is decreasing, the position will change at a decreasing rate and the elevator will cover less distance in a given amount of time.

3. Is it possible for the position of the elevator to remain constant while its velocity is changing?

No, it is not possible for the position of the elevator to remain constant while its velocity is changing. This is because velocity is the rate of change of position, so any change in velocity will result in a change in position.

4. How can the position of the elevator be determined if its velocity vs time graph is not a straight line?

If the velocity vs time graph is not a straight line, the position of the elevator can still be determined by finding the area under the curve. This is known as the displacement and represents the change in position over a given time interval. The displacement can be calculated using integration techniques.

5. What other factors besides velocity can affect the position of the elevator?

Besides velocity, other factors that can affect the position of the elevator include acceleration, mass, and external forces such as friction or air resistance. These factors can change the rate at which the position changes and can be taken into account using kinematic equations or Newton's laws of motion.