Position,velocity, speed, direction of travel of an electron

In summary, the problem involves an electron traveling along the x-axis in the xy plane with initial velocity vi = 1.93x10^7 m/s and experiencing acceleration a = axi + ayj = (8.88x10^14 m/s^2)i + (1.48x10^15 m/s^2)j as it passes through the region x = 0 to x = d = 0.0100 m. The goal is to determine the electron's position, velocity, speed, and direction of travel at x = d. To do this, the equation Vxf^2=Vxi^2+2ax(xf-xi) is used to find the final speed in the x
nerdalert21

Homework Statement

As an example of the manipulation of an electron beam, consider an electron traveling away from the origin along the x-axis in the xy plane with initial velocity vi hat bold = vii hat bold. As it passes through the region x = 0 to x = d, the electron experiences acceleration a = axi + ayj, where ax and ay are constants. For the case vi = 1.93 multiplied by 10^7 m/s, ax = 8.88 multiplied by 10^14 m/s2, and ay = 1.48 multiplied by 10^15 m/s2, determine the following, at x = d = 0.0100 m.
a)Find the position of the electron
b) the velocity of the electron
c) the speed of the electron
d)the direction of travel of the electron

Homework Equations

For a, i tried using the equation Yf=1/2ayt^2
but the answer was wrong and I don't know if i used the wrong equation/numbers
b-d i don't know where to start

The Attempt at a Solution

I used above equation and got -0.000235

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by concentrating on the motion in the x-direction since you're given the distance of travel. It may be easier to determine the x-direction speed first, then find the time of travel.

So, what other equation of motion do you know that relates the initial and final speeds with acceleration and distance?

gneill said:
Start by concentrating on the motion in the x-direction since you're given the distance of travel. It may be easier to determine the x-direction speed first, then find the time of travel.

So, what other equation of motion do you know that relates the initial and final speeds with acceleration and distance?

Wouldnt that be Vxf^2=Vxi^2+2ax(xf-xi)?

nerdalert21 said:
Wouldnt that be Vxf^2=Vxi^2+2ax(xf-xi)?

That would be the one. What do you get for the final speed of the electron in the x-direction?

gneill said:
That would be the one. What do you get for the final speed of the electron in the x-direction?

Well if I did everything right, I got 1.93x10^7 m/s
?

wait but that's the same as Vi

nerdalert21 said:
Well if I did everything right, I got 1.93x10^7 m/s
?

nerdalert21 said:
wait but that's the same as Vi

Yes, so that can't be right (unless the acceleration is insignificant, which it isn't in this case).

Perhaps you should show the work in detail.

Related to Position,velocity, speed, direction of travel of an electron

What is the position of an electron?

The position of an electron is its location in space at a specific moment in time. It can be described using a coordinate system, such as Cartesian or polar coordinates.

What is the velocity of an electron?

The velocity of an electron is the rate at which its position changes over time. It is a vector quantity that includes both the speed and direction of motion.

What is the speed of an electron?

The speed of an electron is the magnitude of its velocity, or the distance it covers in a given amount of time. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s).

What is the direction of travel of an electron?

The direction of travel of an electron is the path it follows as it moves through space. It can be described using direction angles or vectors.

How do the position, velocity, speed, and direction of travel of an electron relate to each other?

The position, velocity, speed, and direction of travel of an electron are all interconnected. The position determines the velocity, which in turn determines the speed and direction of travel. Changes in one of these parameters will affect the others.