Positions of stars as seen from Mars-different than from Earth?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the positions of stars as seen from Mars are different than from Earth. The group concludes that although there may be a slight measurable difference due to the distance between the two planets, it would not be noticeable to the human eye. They also mention the possibility of different constellations being visible from Mars and discuss the novel's portrayal of this phenomenon. They also mention the software "celestia" as a way to explore and visualize different star positions from various locations.
KenJackson
Positions of stars as seen from Mars--different than from Earth?

I'm reading a novel that says , "On Mars the stars seemed a bit out of place, not in their correct position."

Could that be true?

I suspect that if you disregard anything within our solar system, the stars would be so far away that the distance between Earth and Mars would be insignificant. So the stars as seen from Mars would look exactly the same as from Earth. Only the positions of the planets would be different.

Am I right or is the novelist?

Astronomy news on Phys.org

KenJackson said:
I'm reading a novel that says , "On Mars the stars seemed a bit out of place, not in their correct position."

Could that be true?

I suspect that if you disregard anything within our solar system, the stars would be so far away that the distance between Earth and Mars would be insignificant. So the stars as seen from Mars would look exactly the same as from Earth. Only the positions of the planets would be different.

Am I right or is the novelist?

You are correct. There is probably a measurable difference but so tiny that it would NOT be seen directly by the human perception system.

Yes, they would differ by a measurable amount. However even the closest star, Proxima Centauri, only has a parallax measurement of 0.768 arcseconds. The maximum parallax you would see from Mars would be about 1 arcsecond, well below what would be required to notice it visually without measuring instruments. For comparison, the full moon has a diameter of about 0.5 degrees. There are 60 arc minutes in 1 degree, and 60 arc seconds in 1 arc minute. So we are talking about a shift in position of 1/1,800th of the full moon. And Proxima Centauri isn't even visible to the naked eye. It's slightly further away companions are however.

Thanks, guys.

Though I did just think of one other thing. Mars and Earth probably do not spin on parallel axes. So Polaris wouldn't always point north. And if you're used to specific constelations rising and setting a particular way, that part would probably be different.

Maybe that's what the novelist meant.

KenJackson said:
Thanks, guys.

Though I did just think of one other thing. Mars and Earth probably do not spin on parallel axes. So Polaris wouldn't always point north. And if you're used to specific constelations rising and setting a particular way, that part would probably be different.

Perhaps. I expect it is more likely that the author just didn't know what they were talking about.

Drakkith said:
Perhaps. I expect it is more likely that the author just didn't know what they were talking about.

Yep, that would be my guess too.

KenJackson said:

That's possible, but in this context the stars are more than a "bit" out of place. What novel is this from?

The north celestial pole of Mars is in Cygnus. See:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=560987

There's a link for the novel in the original post. The indie author confesses it's his first. I had assumed that since some of it took place on Mars that it was a scifi novel. But it's not. It's just a novel which partially takes place on Mars. That's disappointing since I prefer hard scifi--where the author uses science doesn't violate the known laws of science. Even worse, it contained misconceptions about God and religion. But even with all that, it had a non-obvious plot which held my interest.

But I think you guys are right. The author probably instinctively knew the stars would not be exactly the same from Earth and Mars so he added an ambiguous line as cover.

Cygnus, huh. I was going to ask, but didn't get around to it.

Ah, I missed the link. Thank you. I really need to style those so that they stand out better.

Also, one piece of software that I would recommend for this is "celestia". You can travel to different places and see what the stars look like.

One thing to do is to go to Alpha Centauri. The constellations look quite different, but they are still mostly recognizable.

^ I love Celestia. It looks quite interesting if you leave the constellation outlines on and exit the solar system at a fair clip.

Related to Positions of stars as seen from Mars-different than from Earth?

1. How do the positions of stars appear from Mars compared to Earth?

The positions of stars appear slightly different from Mars compared to Earth due to the difference in location and perspective. This is known as parallax, where the closer an object is, the more it appears to shift in relation to distant objects.

2. Can the positions of stars be used for navigation on Mars?

Yes, the positions of stars can be used for navigation on Mars just like they are used on Earth. However, due to the different locations and perspectives, the star charts and navigation methods used on Earth may not be as accurate on Mars.

3. Why do the positions of stars appear different on Mars?

The positions of stars appear different on Mars due to the planet's orbit and rotation. Mars has a longer orbit and rotation period compared to Earth, which causes the perspective and position of stars to shift slightly.

4. Are there any notable differences in the positions of stars between Mars and Earth?

One notable difference in the positions of stars between Mars and Earth is the appearance of the constellations. Some constellations may appear distorted or unrecognizable from Mars due to the different perspective.

5. Do the positions of stars change on Mars over time?

Yes, the positions of stars on Mars do change over time just like they do on Earth. This is due to the planet's orbit and rotation, as well as the movement of the stars themselves in the night sky.