Positions Versus time on an incline

In summary: So, the graph will be positive for an initial velocity in the x-direction and negative for an initial velocity in the y-direction.
myeeth22
The initial position of the block is the origin; i.e., x = 0 at t = 0 . Consider down the track to be the positive x-direction. A block with an initial velocity v0 slides up and back down a frictionless incline. Which graph best represents a description the position of the block versus time?

There's several graphs, some sinusoidal, some completely flat, some like absolute value, etc. There are also qa semicircle shaped one, which is what I picked. #10 on this (https://web2.ph.utexas.edu/~turner/classes/303K/1011Spring/oldmidterm%2001.pdf) has an image of each graph.

It would make sense to me that this graph would look like a projectile motion graph, since the velocity decreases due to gravity as the object slides up the ramp, eventually comes to a stop, and slide/falls back down, accelerating due to gravity. Apparently this isn't correct. Is this somehow different from projectile motion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello ME22, welcome to PF :smile: !

Please do use the template. We are not allowed to help you if you delete it.
It's not clear what you are asking. You have an answer sheet pdf with no semicircular picture on it. The picture number 1. is marked as "correct" and has the features you describe. Why do you say "apparently this is not correct"?

myeeth22 said:
The initial position of the block is the origin; i.e., x = 0 at t = 0 . Consider down the track to be the positive x-direction. A block with an initial velocity v0 slides up and back down a frictionless incline. Which graph best represents a description the position of the block versus time?

There's several graphs, some sinusoidal, some completely flat, some like absolute value, etc. There are also qa semicircle shaped one, which is what I picked. #10 on this (https://web2.ph.utexas.edu/~turner/classes/303K/1011Spring/oldmidterm%2001.pdf) has an image of each graph.

It would make sense to me that this graph would look like a projectile motion graph, since the velocity decreases due to gravity as the object slides up the ramp, eventually comes to a stop, and slide/falls back down, accelerating due to gravity. Apparently this isn't correct. Is this somehow different from projectile motion?
BvU said:
Hello ME22, welcome to PF :smile: !

Please do use the template. We are not allowed to help you if you delete it.
It's not clear what you are asking. You have an answer sheet pdf with no semicircular picture on it. The picture number 1. is marked as "correct" and has the features you describe. Why do you say "apparently this is not correct"?

My bad. Here's a reposted version

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Concept Question

The Attempt at a Solution

It would make sense to me that this graph would look like a projectile motion graph, since the velocity decreases due to gravity as the object slides up the ramp, eventually comes to a stop, and slide/falls back down, accelerating due to gravity. Apparently this isn't correct. Is this somehow different from projectile motion?It's online HW. When I plug the right number in (multiple choice) I'm told I'm wrong. I lose points every time I answer incorrectly, so I'd completely lost as to what I'm missing.

As it turns out, the question was inverted. I'll talk to my teacher about it the morning. I was worried I was totally missing the question!

myeeth22 said:
Consider down the track to be the positive x-direction. A block with an initial velocity v0 slides up and back down a frictionless incline.

Is the initial velocity positive or negative?

Remember that the slope of the position-time graph equals the velocity.

Related to Positions Versus time on an incline

1. What is the formula for calculating position on an incline?

The formula for calculating position on an incline is given by x = x0 + v0t + (1/2)at2, where x is the position at time t, x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time elapsed.

2. How does the angle of the incline affect position versus time?

The angle of the incline affects the acceleration and therefore the position versus time. The steeper the incline, the greater the acceleration and the faster the object will move down the incline.

3. What is the difference between constant velocity and constant acceleration on an incline?

Constant velocity on an incline means that the object is moving at a constant speed without changing direction. Constant acceleration on an incline means that the object is changing its speed and/or direction at a constant rate.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect the position versus time on an incline?

The coefficient of friction affects the acceleration of an object on an incline. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a slower acceleration, while a lower coefficient of friction will result in a faster acceleration.

5. Can you use the position versus time formula on a curved incline?

Yes, the position versus time formula can be used on a curved incline as long as the acceleration is constant. In this case, the angle of the incline would need to be broken down into smaller sections with a constant acceleration in each section.