Positive Definite Matrices and Their Properties

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that if a matrix X is in the set of real d by n matrices, then both XX^T and X^TX are positive semidefinite. The proof involves showing that for all x in the corresponding vector space, x^T(XX^T)x and x^T(X^TX)x are both non-negative. Additionally, if X has a rank of d, then XX^T is also positive definite, meaning it is invertible and has positive diagonal elements. The conversation also touches on the next steps for proving the case for X^TX.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
I quote a question from Yahoo! Answers

1. Prove that if X ∈ R^(d×n) then XX^T and X^TX are both positive semidefinite.
6. Prove that if X ∈ R^(d×n) has rank d, then XX^T is positive definite (invertible).

I have given a link to the topic there so the OP can see my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For all $x\in\mathbb{R}^{d\times 1}:$
$$x^T(XX^T)x=(X^Tx)^T(X^Tx)=(y_1,\ldots,y_n) \begin{pmatrix}{y_1}\\{\vdots}\\{y_n}\end{pmatrix}=y_1^2+\ldots+y_n^2\geq 0$$
which implies $XX^T$ is positive semidefinite (or positive definite). Similar arguments for $X^TX$.

If $\text{rank }X=d$, then $\text{rank }(XX^T)=\text{rank }X=d$, which implies $XX^T$ is invertible. This means that $XX^T$ is congruent to a matrix $\text{diag }(\alpha_1,\ldots,\alpha_d)$ with $\alpha_i>0$ for all $i$, as a consequence $XX^T$ is positive definite

When I try to solve the case for XTX I get stuck at the following:
xT(XTX)x = xTXTXx = (Xx)TXx

Please kindly guide me next step.

MrJava said:
When I try to solve the case for XTX I get stuck at the following: xT(XTX)x = xTXTXx = (Xx)TXx

Right. Now, the difference is that $x\in \mathbb{R}^{n\times 1}$ instead of $\mathbb{R}^{d\times 1}.$ So, for all $x\in \mathbb{R}^{n\times 1}$
$$(Xx)^T(Xx)=(w_1,\ldots,w_d) \begin{pmatrix}{w_1}\\{\vdots}\\{w_d}\end{pmatrix} =w_1^2+\ldots+w_d^2\geq 0$$

Fernando Revilla said:
Right. Now, the difference is that $x\in \mathbb{R}^{n\times 1}$ instead of $\mathbb{R}^{d\times 1}.$ So, for all $x\in \mathbb{R}^{n\times 1}$
$$(Xx)^T(Xx)=(w_1,\ldots,w_d) \begin{pmatrix}{w_1}\\{\vdots}\\{w_d}\end{pmatrix} =w_1^2+\ldots+w_d^2\geq 0$$

Ok I get the point, thank you.

FAQ: Positive Definite Matrices and Their Properties

1. What is a positive definite matrix?

A positive definite matrix is a square matrix that has all positive eigenvalues. This means that for any non-zero vector, the quadratic form of the matrix will always be positive.

2. What are the properties of positive definite matrices?

Positive definite matrices have several important properties, including: all eigenvalues are positive, all principal minors are positive, and the matrix is symmetric. They also have a unique Cholesky decomposition, and can be used to define a positive definite inner product.

3. How are positive definite matrices used in statistics?

In statistics, positive definite matrices are used to define a multivariate normal distribution. They also play a crucial role in optimization problems, where they ensure that the objective function is convex.

4. Can a matrix be both positive definite and positive semidefinite?

No, a matrix cannot be both positive definite and positive semidefinite. Positive definite matrices have all positive eigenvalues, while positive semidefinite matrices can have some zero eigenvalues.

5. How do you check if a matrix is positive definite?

To check if a matrix is positive definite, you can use several methods such as checking if all eigenvalues are positive, if all principal minors are positive, or if the matrix has a Cholesky decomposition. You can also use the Sylvester's criterion, where you check if all leading principal minors are positive.

Back