Possible combinations of numbers for 3,4,5,6,7 (up to 9?)

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for a downloadable program that can generate all possible combinations of numbers from a given set (up to 99) and export them to a text file. They mention a previous program they used called "Combinations!" by Gordon Gonsalves, but it is no longer available. The formula for combinations is discussed and the asker is hoping someone on the forum can help them find a solution.
AlexFX
Hello everyone.
Thanks for this amazing forum.
I hope I can be forgiven for asking for a software problem rather than a topic specific puzzle.
I am looking and happy to pay for a downloadable program I can run from my desk top which will return all possible combinations of numbers for 3,4,5,6,7...(up to 9?) from any given set of numbers (up to 99?), Generated combinations should be numbered/ordered from 1-X.
Generated combinations and sub-sets should be printable and exported to a tab-delimited text file.
Can anyone please lead me in the right direction?

I had a real nifty little program called... Combinations! by Gordon Gonsalves on my laptop (OS: XP) but my laptop bit the dust without notice.
It would for instance return 8,145,060 combinations (6,45) in a few seconds.

Gordon is no longer selling/ providing support so if anyone can help I would be in your debt.
Many thanks for time and attention.
Alex

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't really understand what you are asking for. To the extent that I can understand it, it sounds rather trivial so I'm probably missing something. Can you give examples or something to further explain?

I'm guessing that the OP is asking about the number of combinations of n things taken r at a time, where n can be up to 99 or so, and r can be up to 9.

In symbols, this would be
$$n \choose r$$

What he's saying, I think, is that $$ {45 \choose 6} = 8,145,060$$
but I haven't verified this.

Last edited:
The website is still there, and it appears the programs are now free. I didn't actually try the programs or check for viruses.

http://ggonsalves.com

Correct.
The formula for combinations (not permutations) would be 45!/[(45-6)!(6!)] = (because the order or the sequence does not matter) =8,145,060.

I'm looking for a program which would generate all possible combinations for different variables
up to 99!/[(99-9)!(9!)], exportable to a tab-delimited text file.

rcgldr, thanks, I know the website is still up but the free downloads are very limited, and Gordon has left the receiver off the hook.

I imagined there might be someone here on the forum who could help.
Thanks for time and attention and pardon if I've used up precious time.

Related to Possible combinations of numbers for 3,4,5,6,7 (up to 9?)

What is the total number of possible combinations?

The total number of possible combinations of numbers for 3,4,5,6,7 (up to 9) is 2520.

How is the total number of combinations calculated?

The total number of combinations is calculated by taking the factorial of the number of options and dividing it by the factorial of the number of items being selected. In this case, it would be (9!)/(5!) = 2520.

Can the order of numbers in a combination be changed?

Yes, the order of numbers in a combination can be changed. For example, the combination 3,4,5 is the same as 4,3,5 or 5,3,4.

Are there any restrictions on the numbers being used in a combination?

There are no restrictions on the numbers being used in a combination as long as they are within the given range of 3,4,5,6,7 (up to 9).

How can I generate all possible combinations?

To generate all possible combinations, you can use a combination formula or a combination calculator. Alternatively, you can list out all the options and manually create the combinations.