Possible Error in Vladimir Arnold Mathematical Methods C

In summary, there is a discussion about a potential error in Vladimir Arnold's Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics regarding a problem on differential forms. The discussion includes a quote from the book and an explanation for why the answer is -8, rather than 8. The discussion concludes with gratitude towards those who helped clarify the issue.
xdrgnh
I'm reviewing differential forms again and I believe there is an error in Vladimir Arnold's Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics. On page 176 of the hardcover edition of it, in chapter 7, on the section of differential forms, problem 4 he says that dr^2(r^2=x^2+y^2) acting on the 2nd vector in the problem equals -8, I get that is equal 8. I can't understand why there would be a minus sign considering this dr^2, shouldn't it being raised to the 2nd power force the answer to being negative. If anyone can confirm this is not an error I'll be on my way to figuring it out . Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to quote everything that is relevant to your question. You cannot just say page x in y and hope that someone is sitting with their copy of Arnold right in front of them.

Likes xdrgnh
It is -8, the vector ##\xi_2## on the picture is equal to ##-\frac{\partial}{\partial x_1}-\frac{\partial}{\partial x_2}##.

Likes xdrgnh
to see this, use that d(r^2) = 2x1dx1 + 2x2dx2, and note that both x1 and x2 are positive on tht vector, but dx1 and dx2 are negative.

Likes xdrgnh
Thank you all very much, I was able to figure out the correct answer thanks to all of you and learn a bit more about differential forms.

Related to Possible Error in Vladimir Arnold Mathematical Methods C

1. What is the significance of Vladimir Arnold's Mathematical Methods C?

Vladimir Arnold's Mathematical Methods C is a mathematical textbook that covers a wide range of topics in advanced mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and more. It is highly regarded by mathematicians and scientists for its clear explanations and comprehensive coverage of these topics.

2. Is there a possibility of error in Vladimir Arnold's Mathematical Methods C?

It is possible that there may be errors in any scientific or mathematical work, including Vladimir Arnold's Mathematical Methods C. However, the book has been thoroughly reviewed and praised by experts in the field, so any errors are likely to be minor and do not significantly affect the overall quality and usefulness of the book.

3. How can I determine if there are errors in Vladimir Arnold's Mathematical Methods C?

If you believe you have found an error in Vladimir Arnold's Mathematical Methods C, it is best to consult with a mathematician or expert in the field to verify your findings. You can also check for any errata or corrections that may have been published by the author or publisher.

4. Are there any common errors in Vladimir Arnold's Mathematical Methods C?

While any scientific or mathematical work may contain errors, there are no known major or recurring errors in Vladimir Arnold's Mathematical Methods C. The book has been thoroughly reviewed and praised by experts, and any minor errors that may exist are unlikely to significantly impact the accuracy or usefulness of the text.

5. How can I make the most of Vladimir Arnold's Mathematical Methods C without being affected by any potential errors?

The best way to make the most of Vladimir Arnold's Mathematical Methods C is to use it as a supplement to your studies and consult with other sources and experts in the field. By cross-referencing and verifying the information in the book, you can ensure that you are learning accurate and reliable information.