Possible title: How do I solve this definite integral evaluation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of a complex integral involving logarithmic and trigonometric functions. The integral is simplified using substitution and changing the limits, but the resulting value is very small according to wolframalpha. Further clarification is needed on the limits of integration.
juantheron
Evaluation of \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}\frac{\ln(\cot x)}{\left[(\sin x)^{2009}+(\cos x)^{2009}\right]^2}\cdot (\sin 2x)^{2008}dx\)

What I have Tried:: Let \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}\frac{\ln(\cot x)}{\left[(\sin x)^{2009}+(\cos x)^{2009}\right]^2}\cdot (\sin 2x)^{2008}dx\)

So \(\displaystyle \displaystyle I = \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}\frac{\ln(\cot x)}{(\cos x)^{4018}\left[1+(\tan x)^{2009}\right]}\cdot 2^{2008}\cdot (\sin x)^{2008}\cdot (\cos x)^{208}dx\)

So $\displaystyle I = 2^{2008}\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}\frac{\ln(\cot x)\cdot (\tan x)^{2008}\cdot \sec^2 x}{\left[1+(\tan x)^{2009}\right]^2}dx\;,$

Now put $\tan x= t$ and $\sec^2 dx = dt$ and changing Limits , We get

$\displaystyle I = -2^{2008}\int_{0}^{1}\frac{\ln (t)\cdot t^{2008}}{[1+t^{2009}]^2}dt$

Now How can I solve after that, Help me

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The numerical value of the integral

$$\int_{0}^{1}\frac{\ln (t)\cdot t^{2008}}{[1+t^{2009}]^2}dt$$

using wolframalpha is very small 1.71738×10^-7. Are you sure about the limits of the integration ?

FAQ: Possible title: How do I solve this definite integral evaluation?

What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the signed area under a curve between two given points on a graph. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and involves finding the antiderivative of a function and evaluating it at the given points.

How is a definite integral different from an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the family of functions whose derivative is the given function. It does not have specific boundaries or limits. A definite integral, on the other hand, involves evaluating the antiderivative of a function at specific boundaries or limits.

What does the value of a definite integral represent?

The value of a definite integral represents the signed area under a curve between two given points on a graph. If the function is above the x-axis, the area is positive, and if it is below the x-axis, the area is negative.

What are the different methods for finding a definite integral?

There are several methods for finding a definite integral, including the Riemann sum method, the trapezoidal rule, and the Simpson's rule. These methods involve approximating the signed area under a curve using smaller, simpler shapes such as rectangles, trapezoids, or parabolas.

What are some real-world applications of definite integrals?

Definite integrals have many real-world applications, including finding the total distance traveled by an object given its velocity, calculating the total work done by a force, and finding the volume of irregularly shaped objects. They are also used in economics to calculate the total profit or loss of a company.