Possible to create gravitational fields

In summary, according to this article, Sakharov proposed that gravity is an induced effect caused by fluctuations in the vacuum. He also developed a model that agrees with this hypothesis, and shows that gravitational mass is derived from electromagnetic-ZPF-induced particle motion.
Universe_Man
Do you think that it would eventually be possible to create gravitational fields by manipulating other fundamental forces in the universe? Like, maybe a magnetic field of sufficient strength could resemble a gravitational field?

I apologize if I seem ignorant to something well known, I'm still learning high school physics. I just like to throw random ideas around.

Physics news on Phys.org
A good and interesting question, UM. BTW, welcome to PF, plenty of folks smarter than me hang out here and are capable of better answers than I have to offer. That said, you must suffer through my muddling answer.

Gravity is a unique force in the universe. It was the first to emerge [according to conventional theory], the weakest of the four fundamental forces, and most resistant to being combined with the rest of the 'big four'. See this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_force

Universe_Man said:
Do you think that it would eventually be possible to create gravitational fields by manipulating other fundamental forces in the universe? Like, maybe a magnetic field of sufficient strength could resemble a gravitational field?.
Of course, if you could set up a very intense electric field, for example, this field would have an energy density and thus an equivalent mass density that would have a gravitational field associated with it. Good luck.:smile:

Electrical fields come in 2 flavours (+/-) and usually balance each other out with little left over, gravity comes in only one force and so does nothing else (apart from distort time). Maybe the clue is in that if we could manipulate time we could alter gravity.

Tzemach said:
Electrical fields come in 2 flavours (+/-) and usually balance each other out with little left over, gravity comes in only one force and so does nothing else (apart from distort time). Maybe the clue is in that if we could manipulate time we could alter gravity.

Er.. be VERY careful here. Electric CHARGE may come in the different "flavors", but electric field does not! Write the E field for a point + charge, and for a point - charge. It is identical except for the the direction of the field as dictated by convention. These are not different "flavors", just different vectorial directions.

Zz.

Sorry my phraseology was wrong but the two types of charge do tend to balance out. The Earth's electrical field for example is so evenly balanced it can deflect particles or rotate a compass needle but do little else. Earth's gravity is strong enough to hold the moon in its orbit and maintain an atmosphere for us to breathe.

Tzemach said:
Sorry my phraseology was wrong but the two types of charge do tend to balance out. The Earth's electrical field for example is so evenly balanced it can deflect particles or rotate a compass needle but do little else. Earth's gravity is strong enough to hold the moon in its orbit and maintain an atmosphere for us to breathe.

OK, so I will definitely come across as being picky here, but the compass needle isn't affected by the "Earth's electrical field".

Zz.

That's right I agree that it might be considered "picky" but in the interest of accuracy I accept the correction.

Universe_Man said:
Do you think that it would eventually be possible to create gravitational fields by manipulating other fundamental forces in the universe? Like, maybe a magnetic field of sufficient strength could resemble a gravitational field?

Hi, interesting question indeed. I would think, if there is some unified theory of everything, then gravity as well as the other fundamental forces should eventually be descibed by the same framework. Then, the magnetic field does not resemble gravity, it is gravity. Or, there is no point in distinguishing between them.

B.

Puthoff

I subscribe the last post by Hossi...

But maybe you're thinking about Puthoff-like works, isn't it?

http://link.aps.org/abstract/PRA/v39/p2333"
H. E. Puthoff
Phys. Rev. A 39, 2333–2342 (1989)

"Sakharov has proposed a suggestive model in which gravity is not a separately existing fundamental force, but rather an induced effect associated with zero-point fluctuations (ZPF’s) of the vacuum, in much the same manner as the van der Waals and Casimir forces. In the spirit of this proposal we develop a point-particle–ZPF interaction model that accords with and fulfills this hypothesis. In the model gravitational mass and its associated gravitational effects are shown to derive in a fully self-consistent way from electromagnetic-ZPF-induced particle motion (Zitterbewegung). Because of its electromagnetic-ZPF underpinning, gravitational theory in this form constitutes an already unified theory."

I know that this article is often cited talking about http://jnaudin.free.fr/lifters/main.htm" ...

note: Puthoff's theory, like Heim's theory, doesn't need https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=119021" to explain mass... In the Puthoff's paper mass is related to the kinetic energy of the Zitterbeweging particle (parton he said)... This description don't convice me at all, but it would be borne in mind investigating quantum gravity vacuum...

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Possible to create gravitational fields

1. Can we create artificial gravitational fields?

Yes, it is theoretically possible to create artificial gravitational fields using advanced technology and scientific principles.

2. How do we create gravitational fields?

Gravitational fields can be created through the manipulation of mass and energy, such as through the use of large amounts of mass or intense electromagnetic fields.

3. Is it ethical to create gravitational fields?

This is a complex ethical question that requires consideration of potential benefits and consequences. It is important for scientists to conduct thorough risk assessments and seek ethical guidance when pursuing such research.

4. What are the potential applications of artificial gravitational fields?

Possible applications include advanced space travel, propulsion systems, and even potential solutions for renewable energy sources.

5. Are there any current experiments or research being done on creating gravitational fields?

Yes, there are various experiments and research projects currently underway, including the use of superconductors and high-energy lasers to manipulate gravitational fields.