Possible to create laminar flow in fast moving air?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of creating laminar flow in a tube with a rectangular cross section of 1 cm by 5 cm, with air moving at a speed of 100 to 150 m/sec. There is a concern that turbulence may set in, but the main question is if the laminar flow can be sustained for a distance of 20 cm. The initial Reynolds number was calculated to be around 7000, but it was later discovered that the actual number is closer to 260,000, making it unlikely for the laminar flow to be achieved. Both parties agree that it may still be possible for a small distance near the entrance of the tube.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
Is it possible to create (nearly?) laminar flow in a tube with rectangular C.S. , around 1 cm X 5 cm , with air moving at around 100 to 150 m/sec?

Turbulence will likely set in sooner or later, but can the laminar flow be made to last over say 20 cm?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Swamp Thing said:
Is it possible to create (nearly?) laminar flow in a tube with rectangular C.S. , around 1 cm X 5 cm , with air moving at around 100 to 150 m/sec?

Turbulence will likely set in sooner or later, but can the laminar flow be made to last over say 20 cm?
What is your assessment of this so far?

When I posted, I had got a Reynolds number around 7000. So I was wondering if it would work if we used a sheaf of soda straws or something to laminarize the flow.

But I have since found errors in my calculation -- the RN is actually like 260,000. So it's probably not doable, I'm thinking.

Swamp Thing said:
When I posted, I had got a Reynolds number around 7000. So I was wondering if it would work if we used a sheaf of soda straws or something to laminarize the flow.

But I have since found errors in my calculation -- the RN is actually like 260,000. So it's probably not doable, I'm thinking.
I agree.

It will still be laminar over some small distance near the entrance. The question is how small.

Likes Swamp Thing and Chestermiller

FAQ: Possible to create laminar flow in fast moving air?

What is laminar flow?

Laminar flow refers to a smooth, orderly movement of fluid, in which layers of the fluid flow parallel to each other without disruption. This is in contrast to turbulent flow, where the fluid undergoes irregular fluctuations and mixing.

Is it possible to create laminar flow in fast-moving air?

Yes, it is possible to create laminar flow in fast-moving air, but it is challenging. Achieving laminar flow in fast-moving air requires careful control of the air's velocity, pressure, and the surface over which it flows. Specially designed equipment and environments, such as wind tunnels with smooth walls and precise airflow controls, are often used to achieve this.

What factors affect the transition from laminar to turbulent flow?

The transition from laminar to turbulent flow is influenced by several factors, including the Reynolds number (a dimensionless quantity that depends on the fluid's velocity, density, viscosity, and characteristic length), surface roughness, and disturbances in the flow. Higher Reynolds numbers and surface roughness typically promote turbulence.

How can laminar flow be maintained in fast-moving air?

Maintaining laminar flow in fast-moving air can be achieved by minimizing disturbances and surface roughness, and by carefully controlling the flow conditions. Techniques such as using streamlined shapes, smooth surfaces, and gradual changes in the flow direction can help maintain laminar flow. Additionally, flow control devices and boundary layer suction can be employed to stabilize the flow.

What are the practical applications of achieving laminar flow in fast-moving air?

Achieving laminar flow in fast-moving air has several practical applications, including reducing drag on aircraft and vehicles, improving the efficiency of ventilation systems, enhancing the performance of wind tunnels, and optimizing the design of aerodynamic surfaces. Laminar flow can lead to significant energy savings and performance improvements in these applications.