Possible Values of Complex Integration for Contours in D and from 0 to 1

In summary: The Attempt at a Solution for part a the denominator factorises to (z+i)(z-i). Now these points are NOT in the domain. If they are not in the domain does that mean i can't evaluate the integral or does it mean that i can evaluate the integral because the points i and -i are discontinuities, but since f(z) is analytic in the domain i can evaluate it and it should give me zero, by cauchy's theorem. Anyway when i evaluate it i get the following:((-1)/(2i)){∫(1/(z+i))-∫(1/(z-i)) and this gives me zero but i am
oddiseas

Homework Statement

1)a Let D = C\{-i,i} and let γ be a closed contour in D. Find all the possible
values of :

(∫(1/(1+z²))dz around γ)

b)
If σ is a contour from 0 to 1, determine all possible
values of:
(∫(1/(1+z²))dz ( around σ)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for part a the denominator factorises to (z+i)(z-i). Now these points are NOT in the domain. If they are not in the domain does that mean i can't evaluate the integral or does it mean that i can evaluate the integral because the points i and -i are discontinuities, but since f(z) is analytic in the domain i can evaluate it and it should give me zero, by cauchys theorm. Anyway when i evaluate it i get the following:

((-1)/(2i)){∫(1/(z+i))-∫(1/(z-i)) and this gives me zero but i am not sure if i am right.

b)
If σ is a contour from 0 to 1, determine all possible
values of:
(∫(1/(1+z²))dz ( around σ)

I am not sure how to try this, or how to represent a contour from zero to 1. Should the contour be a quarter circle moving clockwise, or should it be a line on the real axis? or doesn't it matter what contour i use as long as the endpoints agree. When i calcvulated this using the partial fraction representation above i get zero again. So i think i am stuffing up somewhere. Can someone show me the procedure they use forevaluating these integrals

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose your contour winds around one of the poles +/-i in a counterclockwise direction? Suppose it winds around twice. Suppose it winds around one clockwise? Suppose you don't wind around any poles? Etc etc. There are lots of possible values for both questions. Think about the Cauchy integral formula and the residue theorem.

we havnt done the residue theorm. we are doing it at the end of next week;
I am thinking that if part a is equal to 0, then it can take on any 2pi multiple of this. Am i on the right trach?

Roughly. Can you say why you would think that exactly, using the Cauchy integral formula, maybe?

Related to Possible Values of Complex Integration for Contours in D and from 0 to 1

1. What is complex integration?

Complex integration is a mathematical technique used to evaluate the integral of a complex-valued function over a given path in the complex plane. It involves breaking down the given function into simpler components and using the fundamental theorem of calculus to solve the integral.

2. Why is complex integration useful?

Complex integration is useful in many areas of science and engineering, particularly in electrical engineering, physics, and signal processing. It allows for the analysis and manipulation of complex-valued functions in a way that would not be possible with real-valued integration.

3. What are the different types of complex integration?

The two main types of complex integration are contour integration and line integration. Contour integration involves integrating a function along a closed path in the complex plane, while line integration involves integrating a function along a straight line segment in the complex plane.

4. How is complex integration different from real integration?

Complex integration differs from real integration in several ways. First, the domain of integration is in the complex plane, which has two dimensions instead of one. Second, complex integration involves the use of complex numbers, which have both real and imaginary parts, whereas real integration only deals with real numbers. Finally, complex integration allows for more complex paths of integration, such as circles and curves, whereas real integration is limited to straight lines.

5. What are some applications of complex integration?

Complex integration has many applications in various fields, including electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. It is used to solve problems involving complex-valued functions, such as calculating electric and magnetic fields, determining the flow of fluids, and analyzing the behavior of quantum particles.