Possible webpage title: Understanding Induced Charges on Grounded Conductors

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of induced charge on a grounded conductor and its relation to Gauss's Law. It is explained that Gauss's Law only relates the charge enclosed by a surface to the electric field, not the potential. The contradiction to Gauss's Law arises when considering the potential due to both the induced charge and the original charge on the grounded conductor. It is established that there must be induced charges present to make the line integral from the second conductor to infinity zero.
alqubaisi
Hello,

I came across this topic while reading Principles of Electrodynamics which can be read from this link starting at page 54.

Looking at page 56, my question is how could there be induced charge on a grounded conductor ? what happens then to the equation Q = C * V, where Q is charge on the said conductor, C is capacitance of that conductor, and V is potential on that conductor.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone provided a rigorous proof of his/her answer.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
C = Q * V is only valid for a single conductor.

For two conductors You have

[tex] Q_1 = C_{11} V_1 + C_{21} V_2 [/tex]

and

[tex] Q_2 = C_{12} V_1 + C_{22} V_2 [/tex]

If the second conductor is grounded you get:

[tex] Q_1 = C_{11} V_1 [/tex]

[tex] Q_2 = C_{12} V_1 [/tex]

and nowhere is it said that [itex] C_{12} [/itex] must be positive.

How does the existence of charge on the surface of a grounded conductor don't contradict Gauss's Law ?

alqubaisi said:
How does the existence of charge on the surface of a grounded conductor don't contradict Gauss's Law ?

Gauss law relates the charge enclosed by a surface to the electric field perpendicular to the surface integrated across the entire surface. It does not say anything about the potential. To find the potential, you have to integrate the electric field due to BOTH charges from the surface of the grounded charge to infinity.

Thanks for your reply and patience.

I understand what Gauss's law is, my question is when there is charge on a grounded conductor, the charge will emanate electric field which will give a rise to a non zero potential when a line integral is taken from infinity to the surface of that charge. This is the contradiction to Gauss's law that confuses me.

alqubaisi said:
Thanks for your reply and patience.

I understand what Gauss's law is, my question is when there is charge on a grounded conductor, the charge will emanate electric field which will give a rise to a non zero potential when a line integral is taken from infinity to the surface of that charge. This is the contradiction to Gauss's law that confuses me.

But if you take that line integral, you have to integrate the field of BOTH charges. one of them positive, the other negative. There actually HAS to be an induced charge to make that integral come out to 0.

I don't think Gauss's law is any help computing that integral, but if you do, please state how.

Thanks willem2 for answering my question. I apologize for creating the confusion by referring to induced charge. I'll try to break the issue into readable points.

1- The author defines capacitance as the proportionality constant relating the potential at surface of the conductor relative to infinity to the free charge deposited on that conductor.

2- The author now wants to extend this concept to relate the free charge on the ith conductor, to the potentials on several N conductors.

3- To do that, the author says that all n≠1 conductors are grounded = having 0 potential. Except n=1 conductor.

4- Now, the author starts to relate the free charge on conductors n= 2,3,.., N to the potential on conductor n = 1.

My question is

How could there be free charge on a conductor with potential equal to zero?

My understanding is that a free charge will emit a field (assuming positive charge) that will give rise to a non-zero potential when an line integral of the electric field is carried out from infinity to the location of that charge whether its free space or a surface of a conductor.

alqubaisi said:
My question is

How could there be free charge on a conductor with potential equal to zero?

My understanding is that a free charge will emit a field (assuming positive charge) that will give rise to a non-zero potential when an line integral of the electric field is carried out from infinity to the location of that charge whether its free space or a surface of a conductor.

This is only valid for single isolated, spherically symmetric charges. You have to consider the fields of all the charges. These can give both positive and negative contributions to the line integral.

If there were no induced charges, there would only be the field from the first charge, and this will definitely make the line integral from the second conductor to infinity nonzero, so there have to be induced charges.

Related to Possible webpage title: Understanding Induced Charges on Grounded Conductors

What is the General Theory of Capacitance?

The General Theory of Capacitance is a fundamental concept in physics that describes the ability of a system to store electric charge. It states that the amount of charge stored in a capacitor is directly proportional to the potential difference (voltage) applied to it.

How is capacitance calculated?

The capacitance of a system can be calculated by dividing the charge stored in a capacitor by the potential difference across it. Mathematically, it is represented as C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance, Q is the charge, and V is the voltage.

What factors affect capacitance?

Capacitance is affected by several factors including the surface area of the conductors, the distance between them, and the dielectric material between the conductors. A larger surface area and smaller distance result in higher capacitance, while a higher dielectric constant of the material increases capacitance.

What is the significance of capacitance in electronic circuits?

Capacitors play a crucial role in electronic circuits by storing and releasing electrical energy. They are used in filters, oscillators, and voltage regulators, among other applications. The specific capacitance value is important in determining the functionality and performance of these circuits.

How is capacitance related to capacitance per unit length?

Capacitance per unit length is a measure of the capacitance of a system per unit length. It is related to the total capacitance by the formula C = (Cp) x (length), where Cp is the capacitance per unit length. This relationship is useful in analyzing systems with varying lengths, such as transmission lines.