Posterior Distribution for Number for Grouped Poissons

• Thread starter SpringPhysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Distribution
In summary, the OP is trying to find the posterior distribution for a sequence of Poisson random variables, where the first N come from a Poisson(a1), and the next N+1st to the nth ones come from a Poisson(a2). The prior distribution on N is a discrete uniform on the integers from 1 to n-1, but we don't know what N is. The likelihood (which is the same as the posterior) is found to be: P(N|a1, a2) \alpha e-N(a1-a2)(a1/a2)ƩXi where i goes from 1 to N. No matter how much I try to rearrange the terms,
SpringPhysics

Homework Statement

I am trying to determine the posterior distribution of N where given a sequence of n independence Poisson random variables, the first N come from Poisson(a1) and the next N+1st to the nth ones come from Poisson(a2). The prior distribution on N is discrete uniform on the integers from 1 to n-1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the likelihood (which is the same as the posterior):

P(N|a1, a2) [itex]\alpha[/itex] e-N(a1-a2)(a1/a2)ƩXi where i goes from 1 to N

No matter how much I try to rearrange the terms, I can't find out what this distribution is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
SpringPhysics said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to determine the posterior distribution of N where given a sequence of n independence Poisson random variables, the first N come from Poisson(a1) and the next N+1st to the nth ones come from Poisson(a2). The prior distribution on N is discrete uniform on the integers from 1 to n-1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the likelihood (which is the same as the posterior):

P(N|a1, a2) [itex]\alpha[/itex] e-N(a1-a2)(a1/a2)ƩXi where i goes from 1 to N

No matter how much I try to rearrange the terms, I can't find out what this distribution is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

"Posterior" means "after an observation". What is the observation? Is it the sum of the random variables, or what?

Ray Vickson said:
"Posterior" means "after an observation". What is the observation? Is it the sum of the random variables, or what?
The way I read the question, though it sounds a little weird, is that a number N is selected according to a distribution, then that number is used to produce a sequence of n terms in which the first N are selected from one Poisson distribution of known parameter, and the rest from a Poisson of known, different parameter. But we don't know what N was. The sequence obtained conveys information about N, so it now has a posterior distribution.
And the way I read the OP, SpringPhysics has figured out the relative probabilities for values of N, but needs to normalise them by dividing by the total. If so, SpringPhysics has done the hard work and it's a simple matter of summing a finite geometric series.
P(N|a1, a2) α e-N(a1-a2)(a1/a2)ƩXi where i goes from 1 to N
Everything is constant in the sum except N.

haruspex:
Yes, I've already figured out the relative probabilities. I don't see how this is a sum of a geometric series though. Do you mean to simplify as

exp(Ʃ[Xi * (log(a1) - log(a2)) - (a1 - a2)]}
where the sum goes from i = 1 to N

I still don't recognize the distribution.

EDIT: I understand what you mean now, but I don't need to find the normalizing constant. I need to figure out what this distribution is so that I can perform Gibbs sampling.

EDIT 2: Oh, I see. So I actually have to compute the probability for each possible value of N by dividing the sum, which is actually doable since it's discrete? Thanks so much!

Last edited:
SpringPhysics said:
haruspex:
Yes, I've already figured out the relative probabilities. I don't see how this is a sum of a geometric series though. Do you mean to simplify as

exp(Ʃ[Xi * (log(a1) - log(a2)) - (a1 - a2)]}
where the sum goes from i = 1 to N

I still don't recognize the distribution.

EDIT: I understand what you mean now, but I don't need to find the normalizing constant. I need to figure out what this distribution is so that I can perform Gibbs sampling.

EDIT 2: Oh, I see. So I actually have to compute the probability for each possible value of N by dividing the sum, which is actually doable since it's discrete? Thanks so much!
Good job I was offline for a while:smile:

Likes 1 person

Related to Posterior Distribution for Number for Grouped Poissons

What is a posterior distribution for number for grouped Poissons?

A posterior distribution for number for grouped Poissons is a probability distribution that represents the uncertainty in the number of events occurring within a given time interval, given a set of observations. It is obtained using Bayes' theorem, which combines prior knowledge and new data to update the probability distribution.

How is a posterior distribution for number for grouped Poissons calculated?

A posterior distribution for number for grouped Poissons is calculated by multiplying the prior distribution (which represents our initial beliefs about the number of events) by the likelihood function (which represents the probability of observing the data given the number of events). The resulting product is then normalized to obtain a probability distribution.

What is the difference between a prior distribution and a posterior distribution?

A prior distribution represents our beliefs about a parameter before observing any data, while a posterior distribution incorporates the data we have observed to update our beliefs. In other words, a prior distribution is the starting point for calculating a posterior distribution.

What is the role of the likelihood function in a posterior distribution for number for grouped Poissons?

The likelihood function plays a crucial role in a posterior distribution for number for grouped Poissons as it represents the probability of observing the data given a certain number of events. It is the bridge between the prior and the posterior distribution and helps to update our beliefs based on the new data.

What are some real-world applications of posterior distribution for number for grouped Poissons?

Posterior distribution for number for grouped Poissons has a wide range of applications in various fields such as epidemiology, finance, and engineering. It can be used to estimate the number of disease cases, analyze stock market trends, or predict the failure rate of mechanical systems, to name a few examples. Basically, it can be applied to any situation where we want to make inferences about the number of events occurring over a specific time period.