Potassium Nitrate in Water: What Happens?

• Thread starter Kyoma
  • Start date
In summary: Well, I could start with a dilute solution of nitric acid and add KOH and I'd end up with K+ and NO3- and water. Only.
Kyoma
If you add potassium ions into a solution of nitrate ions and water, what will happen? Will the final mixture contain potassium nitrate and water or a mixture of potassium, nitrate ions and water molecules? :l

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Just solvated ions in a dilute solution. If you make a very concentrad solution they begin to pair up and finally to form crystals.

There can't be just nitrate ions and water, there have to be some counter ions, Na+ or H+. Likewise you can't add just potassium ions.

Well, I could start with a dilute solution of nitric acid and add KOH and I'd end up with K+ and NO3- and water. Only.

Nemus said:
Well, I could start with a dilute solution of nitric acid and add KOH and I'd end up with K+ and NO3- and water. Only.

How is it related to the original question and epenguin comment? Every solution you mention contains ion and counterion, while the OP asked about solution containing ONLY an ion.

Nemus said:

You would end up with K+ but then you are starting off with K+ in the solution you add. You have transferred that many K+ from a bottle to a beaker maybe. Likewise you end up with NO3- and they are the same ones you started off with. The only happening thing when you do this mixture is that the OH- react with the H+ to form H2O. If you add more of the OH- (which = the K+ in the KOH) than there are of H+ (which = the NO3- in the nitric acid) the solution will be alkaline, if you add less it will be acid, there are a thousand calculations on this site about that and variations of it in which students sometimes find some difficulty due to various avoidable confusions. The reaction just mentioned generates some heat which if the solutions are dilute will not be dramatic but might be measurable with a thermometer, I don't know figures offhand.

You took me back to about my first chemistry lesson when after various reactions were finished we asked 'Sir, what happens if you mix that and that?'. 'Nothing' he replied, and then sensing our disappointment added 'It won't explode or anything.'

FAQ: Potassium Nitrate in Water: What Happens?

1. What is potassium nitrate?

Potassium nitrate, also known as saltpeter, is a chemical compound made up of potassium, nitrogen, and oxygen atoms. It is commonly used as a fertilizer, food preservative, and in the production of explosives.

2. What happens when potassium nitrate is added to water?

When potassium nitrate is added to water, it dissolves and dissociates into potassium ions (K+) and nitrate ions (NO3-). This process is known as hydration, and it results in an endothermic reaction, meaning that it absorbs heat from the surroundings.

3. Is potassium nitrate soluble in water?

Yes, potassium nitrate is highly soluble in water. In fact, it is one of the most soluble salts, with a solubility of 133 grams per 100 milliliters of water at room temperature. This high solubility is due to the strong attraction between the ions and the polar water molecules.

4. What are the uses of potassium nitrate in water?

Potassium nitrate in water has several uses in various industries. In the agriculture sector, it is used as a fertilizer to provide plants with essential nitrogen and potassium nutrients. In the food industry, it is used as a preservative to prevent the growth of bacteria. It is also used in the production of gunpowder and fireworks.

5. Is potassium nitrate in water safe for consumption?

In small amounts, potassium nitrate in water is safe for consumption. In fact, it is commonly used as a preservative in cured meats and cheese. However, consuming large amounts of potassium nitrate can be harmful as it can lead to an imbalance of electrolytes in the body. It is important to always follow recommended dosage guidelines and consult a healthcare professional if you have any concerns.

Back