Potential barrier problem

In summary, the reflection coefficient for a particle is a function of the ratio of the energy of the incident particle to the height of the potential barrier.
zak8000

Homework Statement

a particle of kinetic energy E is incident from left on a potential barrier,height U, situated at the origin.the barrier is infinitely wide and E>U

obtain an expression for the reflection coefficient R of the particle as a fuction ratio e=E/U

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

to left of barrier wavefunctions are free particle waves
barrier at x=0
psi(x,t)=Aexp(ikx-wt)+ Bexp(-ikx-wt) x<0

within barrier wavefunction also is oscillatory

E=h(cross)*w

considering case for E<U and using TISE on psi(x,t) within barrier we get

a=([2m(U-E)]^0.5)/h(cross)

but now E>U and as a result a becomes imaginary. introducing new wavenumber L and barrier wavefunction becomes

psi(x,t) =Cexp(-iLx-wt)+Dexp(iLx-wt) x>0 (note this is equation is only for a barrier of finite width)

but now everywhere to right from origin x=0 is the barrier wavefunction given above . to keep psi(x,t) from diverging for large x we must take D=0 leaving only decaying wave and this is where i am up to i was just wanting to know if i am on the right track

Physics news on Phys.org
You need two sets of wavefunctions, one for x<0 and another one for x>0. The first set for x<0 has two pieces, one representing the incident wave and one representing the reflected wave. For x>0 you have only one wave, the transmitted wave traveling to the right. Since E > U, all waves are represented by complex exponentials. These are basically sinusoidals and do not decay with x.

ok i see thanks so now my wavefunctions are

psi(x,t)=Aexp(ikx-wt)+Bexp(-ikx-wt) x<0
psi(x,t)=Dexp(iLx-wt) x>0

so now wavefunctions must be joined smoothly following the conditions
A+B=D cont of psi
ikA-ikB=iLD cont of d(psi)/dx

solving for D i get

A(1-k/L)=B(-1-k/L)

B/A= -(1-k/L)/(1+k/L)

reflection coefficient is given by R=|B^2|/|A^2| but i need to obtain an expression in terms of ratio E/U

so i tried to substitute k=(2mE/h(cross))^0.5 and L=i(2m(U-E)/h(cross))^0.5 into equation but was unsuccessful to get the ratio out am i on the right track?

Aren't k and L both real and isn't the ratio L/k related to U/E somehow?

yes sorry both L and k are real and i get E/U =-1/2 when i put them equal to each other but now I am kind of lost

I don't see how you get E/U = -1/2. What are your (correct) expressions for k and L?

Related to Potential barrier problem

1. What is a potential barrier problem?

A potential barrier problem is a concept in quantum mechanics where a particle encounters a potential barrier that it does not have enough energy to overcome. This results in the particle being reflected back or transmitted through the barrier with a certain probability.

2. How is the potential barrier problem related to quantum tunneling?

Quantum tunneling is a phenomenon that occurs when a particle with insufficient energy can still pass through a potential barrier by taking advantage of the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics. This is possible due to the wave-like nature of particles in quantum mechanics.

3. Can the potential barrier problem be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the potential barrier problem can be observed in everyday life. For example, it is the reason why alpha particles emitted from radioactive materials can travel through seemingly impenetrable barriers such as paper or skin.

4. How is the potential barrier problem used in technology?

The potential barrier problem is used in various technologies such as transistors, which are essential components in electronic devices. The principle of quantum tunneling is utilized in the design of transistors to control the flow of electrons through potential barriers, allowing for the creation of digital circuits and processors.

5. What are the implications of the potential barrier problem in quantum computing?

The potential barrier problem has significant implications in quantum computing as it allows for the manipulation and control of qubits (quantum bits) through potential barriers. This enables the creation of more complex and powerful quantum algorithms, which have the potential to solve certain problems much faster than classical computers.