Potential difference between Bird's Feet?

In summary: Remember to convert your units to the appropriate form. In summary, to find the potential difference between the bird's feet, we can use Ohm's Law by calculating the resistance of the wire using its cross sectional area and material properties, and then multiplying it by the given current. This will give us the potential difference in units of volts.
mrlucky0

Homework Statement

A bird sits on a high-voltage power line with its feet 2.0 cm apart. The wire is made from aluminum, is 3.0 cm in diameter, and carries a current of 160 A. What is the potential difference between the bird's feet?

Homework Equations

I=neAv

Where I is current, n is electrons per volume, A is cross sectional area, v is drift velocity.

V=E*D

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is going to have units of J/C, and the cross sectional area of the wire is 1/4*Pi*(3cm)^2.

I don't know where to proceed from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there anyway you can find the resistance of the wire, maybe using the area and the fact that it's made out of Aluminum?

G01 said:
Is there anyway you can find the resistance of the wire, maybe using the area and the fact that it's made out of Aluminum?

Thanks for helping me. Yes, I can find the resistance:

R = p*L/A
= p * (2 cm)/A

Where p for Al is 2.82E-8 ohms*m, A is the cross sectional area, 1/4*Pi*(3 cm)^2

Where to go from here?

Edit:

Oh wait a second, I = V/R so I*R=V. Is that it?

Last edited:
mrlucky0 said:

R = p*L/A
= p * (2 cm)/A

Where p for Al is 2.82E-8 ohms*m, A is the cross sectional area, 1/4*Pi*(3 cm)^2

Where to go from here?

Edit:

You're a good part of the way there. We want to know the potential difference between the bird's feet. You have the current given in the problem. How would you find the resistance involved?

mrlucky0 said:

R = p*L/A
= p * (2 cm)/A

Where to go from here?

Edit:

Yes, once you calculate the resistance, Ohm's Law would be the way to go.

Related to Potential difference between Bird's Feet?

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and is a measure of the amount of work needed to move a unit of charge from one point to another.

2. How is potential difference measured in a bird's feet?

Potential difference in a bird's feet is measured using a technique called electrophysiology, which involves inserting small electrodes into the feet to measure the electrical activity. The resulting potential difference is then recorded and analyzed.

3. What causes potential difference in a bird's feet?

The potential difference in a bird's feet is caused by the presence of specialized structures called salt glands, which are used by birds to regulate their salt levels. These glands create a high concentration of ions in the feet, resulting in a potential difference between the feet and the ground.

4. What is the significance of potential difference in a bird's feet?

The potential difference in a bird's feet is crucial for their survival, as it allows them to regulate their salt levels and maintain a healthy balance of fluids in their bodies. It also helps them to navigate and orient themselves in their environment, particularly during migration.

5. How does potential difference in a bird's feet differ from other animals?

Potential difference in a bird's feet is unique to birds and some marine animals, as they have evolved specialized salt glands to deal with their high salt diets. Other animals do not have these structures and therefore do not have the same level of potential difference in their feet.