Potential difference in series and parallel

In summary, the potential difference is the same in parallel circuits and gets divided in series circuits. This means that in parallel circuits, the voltage is constant throughout each branch, while in series circuits, the voltage is divided among the components. The amount of potential difference applied by a cell refers to the amount of voltage it can provide. For further understanding, refer to the link provided.
mr newtein
why is potential difference same in parallel and gets divided in series,also what does it means this much pd is apllied by cell.pleaseeeeeee explain working of all this,i am getting frustrated as i am not able to understand

Physics news on Phys.org
mr newtein said:
why is potential difference same in parallel and gets divided in series,also what does it means this much pd is apllied by cell.pleaseeeeeee explain working of all this,i am getting frustrated as i am not able to understand

This introductory page should help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series_and_parallel_circuits

If you still have specific questions after reading that, post them here.

Related to Potential difference in series and parallel

What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electrical potential between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts and represents the amount of energy that is required to move an electric charge from one point to another.

How does potential difference differ in series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the potential difference is divided among the components, meaning that the total potential difference across the circuit is equal to the sum of the potential differences across each component. In a parallel circuit, the potential difference is the same across each component, as the components are connected in parallel to the same voltage source.

Which type of circuit has a higher potential difference?

In a series circuit, the potential difference can be higher than the potential difference of a single component, as it is divided among multiple components. In a parallel circuit, the potential difference is the same across each component, so it cannot be higher than the potential difference of a single component.

How does potential difference affect the flow of current in a circuit?

Potential difference is directly proportional to the flow of current in a circuit. This means that as the potential difference increases, the current will also increase, and as the potential difference decreases, the current will also decrease.

Can potential difference be negative?

Yes, potential difference can be negative. This indicates that the direction of the electric current is opposite to the direction of the voltage source. In a circuit, this can occur when the current is flowing in the opposite direction than expected.

Back