Potential difference of an inductor equal to minus the induced emf?

In summary, an inductor responds to an increasing current by producing a magnetic flux, which induces an emf to oppose the change in flux. When calculating the induced emf, the total flux, including self-inductance, must be taken into account. The sign of the emf follows from Faraday's Law, and the overall potential difference of the inductor is the sum of the original potential difference and the induced emf. For more information, refer to the lecture notes and worked examples on AC circuits.
BomboshMan
Hi,

Two questions I'm finding it hard to get my head around with inductors...

Say we have an increasing current, this is going to cause an increase in flux in one direction, which will induce an emf to drive a current which produces a magnetic field to oppose the change in flux. Than doing the calculation to find induced emf,

ε = |[itex]\frac{d[itex]\Phi[/itex]}{dt}[/itex]| so my first question is, is [itex]\Phi[/itex] the magnetic flux just from the inductor current, or is it the flux from the net magnetic field, including the induced one?

Then my book says that the potential difference of the inductor is minus the induced emf. I get the minus, but wouldn't the inductor have an 'original' potential difference, as in shouldn't the overall potential difference of the inductor be the 'original' pd plus the induced emf?

Hope that made sense!

Thanks,
Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all one cannot emphasize enough that an electromotoric force, [itex]\Phi[/itex], is not a potential difference, because precisely if you have a time-varying magnetic flux, the electric field is not a potential field, according to Faraday's Law
[tex]\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E}=-\frac{1}{c} \partial_t \vec{B}.[/tex]
When reduced to quasistationary circuits in general the total flux has to be taken into account. It's included in the self-inductance of the circuit. The sign of the emf in the Kirchhoff Laws is precisely given by the above given local form of Faraday's Law.

Take a circuit at rest. Then the integral Faraday law is obtained from its local form by integrating over an appropriate surface and using Stokes's integral theorem. The sign is given by the relative orientation of the surface normal vectors with the orientation of the boundary curve according to the right-hand rule.

For details, see my (handwritten) writeup for a freshman lecture, I've given some years ago:

http://fias.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/physics208.html

See the Lecture Notes, part III, and the worked examples on AC circuits.

FAQ: Potential difference of an inductor equal to minus the induced emf?

What is the potential difference of an inductor?

The potential difference of an inductor, also known as the voltage drop, is the difference in electric potential between the two ends of the inductor. It is measured in volts (V).

What is the induced emf of an inductor?

The induced emf (electromotive force) of an inductor is the voltage produced by a changing magnetic field within the inductor. It is measured in volts (V).

Why is the potential difference of an inductor equal to minus the induced emf?

This is due to Lenz's law, which states that the direction of an induced emf is always such as to oppose the change that created it. Therefore, the induced emf in an inductor will always oppose the current flow, resulting in a potential difference that is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the induced emf.

What factors can affect the potential difference and induced emf of an inductor?

The potential difference and induced emf of an inductor can be affected by factors such as the number of turns in the inductor, the strength of the magnetic field, and the rate of change of the magnetic field.

How does the potential difference and induced emf of an inductor affect the behavior of a circuit?

The potential difference and induced emf of an inductor can cause a delay in the flow of current through a circuit, as the inductor resists changes in current. This can result in a time-varying current, which can have various effects depending on the rest of the components in the circuit.