Potential Divider Circuits (resistor + LED)

In summary: The resistor is 100 Ohms because that is the equivalent resistance of connecting an LED between points A and B that are each receiving 6 volts of DC power.
Jimmy87

Homework Statement

Attached to this thread is the question and mark scheme.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got most of the question right but I have no idea about the explanation part of why to include the 100 ohm resistor which is required for the higher level. It says in the mark scheme about the fact that the LED gets 2V across it when points A-B get 6V. I have no idea how we know this? To know the LED gets 2V requires knowing its resistance which we don't know? Unless its related to the graph in the first part of the question but it says that is for a silicon diode. Also if it did relate to question in first part then 2V according to the graph would have much less than 50 ohms resistance

Attachments

• Potential Divider Question (MS).docx
    339.8 KB · Views: 269
  • Potential Divider Question.docx
    454.8 KB · Views: 254
Physics news on Phys.org
While LED's are diodes and do have characteristic curves that are very similar in overall shape to those of a typical silicon diode, their structure and chemistry is tweaked in order to enhance and tune their light emitting properties. This has the effect of altering the location of the "knee" in the curve. Whereas your basic silicon diode typically has this knee at about 0.7 V of forward bias, an LED's knee can be anywhere from 1 V for infrared LEDs to perhaps 4 V or so for blue LEDs. Do a web search for "typical LED characteristic curve" and see what you find.

Likes Jimmy87
gneill said:
While LED's are diodes and do have characteristic curves that are very similar in overall shape to those of a typical silicon diode, their structure and chemistry is tweaked in order to enhance and tune their light emitting properties. This has the effect of altering the location of the "knee" in the curve. Whereas your basic silicon diode typically has this knee at about 0.7 V of forward bias, an LED's knee can be anywhere from 1 V for infrared LEDs to perhaps 4 V or so for blue LEDs. Do a web search for "typical LED characteristic curve" and see what you find.

Thanks. I still don't understand how they get the answer of 2V across the LED in the question. How do they know this?

are we supposed to know that an LED is roughly 50 ohms. This is not listed in the textbook which this exam paper is based around and we haven't been taught it. Or is it a mistake?

Apologies - please ignore this post. I found another post on another forum saying this question is incorrect. It is supposed to have the characteristic of an LED not silicon diode and the resistance of the LED is indeed 50 ohms. How annoying! Sorry!

Jimmy87 said:
the resistance of the LED is indeed 50 ohms.
No, that is absolutely false. Please disregard whatever that post on the different forum is saying.
Jimmy87 said:
I still don't understand how they get the answer of 2V across the LED in the question. How do they know this?
By reading the datasheet for the LED. Depending on the color and efficiency of the LED, the forward voltage Vf of the LED will be shown in the 2V to 3V range. That's how you design the current limiting resistor for LED circuits that are driven by simple voltage sources.

Quiz Question -- Can you find a typical Red LED datasheet, and show us the min/typ/max specs for Vf for that LED?

Jimmy87 said:
I got most of the question right but I have no idea about the explanation part of why to include the 100 ohm resistor which is required for the higher level. It says in the mark scheme about the fact that the LED gets 2V across it when points A-B get 6V. I have no idea how we know this? To know the LED gets 2V requires knowing its resistance which we don't know?

The fact that the LED forward voltage is 2V (rather than 0.7V) isn't really critical to the question. Suppose the question said that the circuit was used to plot the IV characteristic of a regular Si diode instead of an LED. Could you answer the bit about the 100 Ohm resistor then? Could you justify why its 100 Ohms and not say 1, 10 or 1KOhms?

Likes berkeman

Related to Potential Divider Circuits (resistor + LED)

1. What is a potential divider circuit?

A potential divider circuit is a type of electrical circuit that uses resistors to divide the input voltage into smaller, more manageable values. It is commonly used to power LEDs at the correct voltage and current, as well as for voltage regulation in various electronic devices.

2. How does a potential divider circuit work?

A potential divider circuit works by using two or more resistors in series. The input voltage is divided between the resistors, with the voltage drop across each resistor determined by its resistance value. The voltage at the junction between the resistors is the output voltage, which can be calculated using the voltage divider formula.

3. What is the purpose of using a potential divider circuit with an LED?

The purpose of using a potential divider circuit with an LED is to ensure that the LED receives the correct voltage and current to operate properly. LEDs have a specific operating voltage and current, and using a potential divider circuit allows us to adjust the input voltage to meet these requirements.

4. How do you calculate the output voltage of a potential divider circuit?

The output voltage of a potential divider circuit can be calculated using the voltage divider formula: Vout = Vin * (R2 / (R1 + R2)), where Vin is the input voltage, R1 and R2 are the resistances of the two resistors in series, and Vout is the output voltage.

5. What factors can affect the output voltage of a potential divider circuit?

The output voltage of a potential divider circuit can be affected by several factors, including the resistance values of the resistors, the input voltage, and the load connected to the output. Any changes in these factors can result in a change in the output voltage.