Potential Energy of a 2D Crystal Lattice

In summary, the author attempted to solve the problem of finding the potential energy of an ionic crystal by calculating the potential energy of the center charge and adding the contributions of the other charges manually. However, the author found the calculations to be inaccurate and could not find a solution within the confines of the given book.
SquidgyGuff

Homework Statement

Use a computer to calculate numerically the potential energy, per ion, for an ifinite 2D square, ionic crystal with separation a; that is, a plane of equally spaced charges of magnitude e and alternating sign.
1VbEJz8.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The closest I can come to a solution is by calculating the potential energy of the center charge and adding the contributions of the other charges manually and it was far too inaccurate. I tried to use a sum to find E and then use it in the formula for potential energy, but it is so terribly wrong.
http://www.sciweavers.org/upload/Tex2Img_1440630831/render.png
In the back of the book it lists this as the answer, but I have no clue how they arrived at it. The book says that you have to find the potential energy contributed from the top half and the line to the right and multiply it by two, but I'm not sure how they got their sums.
http://www.sciweavers.org/upload/Tex2Img_1440631169/render.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
SquidgyGuff said:
In the back of the book it lists this as the answer, but I have no clue how they arrived at it. The book says that you have to find the potential energy contributed from the top half and the line to the right and multiply it by two, but I'm not sure how they got their sums.
http://www.sciweavers.org/upload/Tex2Img_1440631169/render.png
Do you understand what they mean by "top half" and "line to the right"? Can you see which of the two sums refers to which of those?

Last edited by a moderator:
haruspex said:
Do you understand what they mean by "top half" and "line to the right"? Can you see which of the two sums refers to which of those?
I know the sum on the left represents the line of alternating charges to the right of the center and I can see how it is derived, but no the sum of the charges above it.

SquidgyGuff said:
I know the sum on the left represents the line of alternating charges to the right of the center and I can see how it is derived, but no the sum of the charges above it.
The second is a double sum, over m and n. m goes from minus infinity to plus infinity, while n goes from 1 to infinity. In terms of the relative positions of charges in the half plane above the centre, which of m and n would you say corresponds to the x co-ordinate?

haruspex said:
The second is a double sum, over m and n. m goes from minus infinity to plus infinity, while n goes from 1 to infinity. In terms of the relative positions of charges in the half plane above the centre, which of m and n would you say corresponds to the x co-ordinate?
m is definetley represents x because it is infinite in both directions, where as n is only infinite in one direction. I think I understand now! It's essentially the same as the first, but in 2 dimensions with the distance represented as sqrt(m^2 + n^2) times a. Is this a particularly hard question for 3rd semester of college?

haruspex said:
The (-1)^m in the first term makes sense to me, but how would one know to use (-1)^(m+n) for the second term?

SquidgyGuff said:
The (-1)^m in the first term makes sense to me, but how would one know to use (-1)^(m+n) for the second term?
The sign alternates in both directions, so a step of 1 in either m or n will switch the sign. That tells you the sign will go like -1m+n. (You could equally write -1m-n etc.). All that is left to decide is the sign at the start of the sum.
I've no idea how this rates as appropriate for third semester in your academic culture, and besides that was a very long time ago for me.
As you continue with this question, there are opportunities for it to become quite a bit more involved yet. Those sums only converge quite slowly. You can solve the half line sum analytically, but not the half plane sum. There are ways to speed up the convergence, and ways to break the sum up into a finite sum that you can do in software, plus an infinite sum in which you can make approximations and obtain an analytic solution.

Likes SquidgyGuff

Related to Potential Energy of a 2D Crystal Lattice

What is potential energy in a 2D crystal lattice?

Potential energy in a 2D crystal lattice refers to the energy stored within the bonds between atoms or molecules in a 2D crystal structure. It is the result of the attraction and repulsion forces between the particles in the lattice.

How is potential energy calculated in a 2D crystal lattice?

The potential energy of a 2D crystal lattice is calculated by taking into account the distance between particles, the strength of the bonds, and any external forces acting on the lattice. It can be calculated using mathematical equations such as the Lennard-Jones potential.

What factors affect the potential energy of a 2D crystal lattice?

The potential energy of a 2D crystal lattice is affected by several factors. These include the distance between particles, the strength of the bonds, the shape and size of the lattice, and any external forces applied to the lattice. Temperature and pressure can also impact the potential energy of a 2D crystal lattice.

How does potential energy change as a 2D crystal lattice undergoes phase transitions?

As a 2D crystal lattice undergoes phase transitions, the potential energy also changes. For example, during a solid to liquid phase transition, the potential energy decreases as the bonds between particles break and the particles have more freedom to move. During a liquid to gas phase transition, the potential energy increases as the particles become more spread out and the bonds between them become weaker.

What is the significance of understanding the potential energy of a 2D crystal lattice?

Understanding the potential energy of a 2D crystal lattice is crucial in many fields of science, including materials science, chemistry, and physics. It allows us to predict and explain the behavior of the lattice, such as its stability, phase transitions, and response to external stimuli. This knowledge can also aid in the design and development of new materials with desired properties.