Potential Energy of System (Uniform Rod and String)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of elastic potential energy and the total potential energy of a rod using the equations GPE = mgh and EPE = λx^2 / 2l. The individual explains their attempt at solving the problem and notes that their answer is almost identical to the given answer, except for a constant term. They later realize their mistake and apologize for the confusion.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg339/scaled.php?server=339&filename=53171696.jpg&res=medium

Homework Equations

GPE = mgh, EPE = λx^2 / 2l

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm taking the horizontal line through A as the zero-level for potential energy. Clearly, the GPE of the rod is mgacosθ + constant. To find the elastic potential energy, I noted that:

[tex]EPE = \frac{0.5mgx^2}{4a}[/tex]

I said that the extension x is given by the length of BC minus the natural length. To get BC, I used the cosine rule;

BC2 = 16a2 + 4a2 - 16a2cosθ

So BC = 2a√(5 - 4cosθ).

Then,

[tex]EPE = \frac{mg(2a \sqrt{5 - 4 \cos \theta} - 2a)^2}{8a}[/tex]

Which, to me, simplifies to:

[tex]EPE = mga(3 - 2 \cos \theta - \sqrt{5 - 4 \cos \theta})[/tex]

The total potential energy V can thus be expressed as:

[tex]V = -mga(\cos \theta - 3 + \sqrt{5 - 4 \cos \theta}) + \mathbb{constant}[/tex].

This is almost identical to what they've got, except without the 3. Where have I gone wrong?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sigh... just realized in the mark scheme they've counted the +3 as 'a constant' so negligible. Ugh. Sorry to whoever was reading this thread.

Related to Potential Energy of System (Uniform Rod and String)

1. What is potential energy of a system?

Potential energy of a system is the stored energy that exists within a system due to its position or configuration. It is the potential to do work or cause a change in the system.

2. How is potential energy of a system calculated?

The potential energy of a system can be calculated by multiplying the force acting on the system by the distance the system can move in the direction of the force. For example, in the case of a uniform rod and string system, it would be the weight of the rod multiplied by the vertical distance it can move due to the string.

3. What factors affect the potential energy of a system?

The potential energy of a system is affected by the mass of the system, the height or distance the system can move, and the strength of the force acting on the system.

4. Can potential energy of a system be negative?

Yes, potential energy of a system can be negative. This occurs when the system is in a position of lower potential energy than its reference point. For example, if the system is below its reference point, its potential energy will be negative.

5. How is the potential energy of a system related to its kinetic energy?

The potential energy of a system and its kinetic energy are two forms of energy that can be converted into each other. As the potential energy of a system decreases, its kinetic energy increases, and vice versa. This is known as the law of conservation of energy.