Potential energy problem. help >.<

In summary, potential energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its position or state, and is important for understanding and predicting the behavior of objects and systems. Some common types include gravitational, elastic, chemical, and electrical potential energy. It differs from kinetic energy, which is energy in motion. The formula for calculating potential energy varies depending on the type, and some real-life examples include a roller coaster, a stretched rubber band, a book on a shelf, and a battery in a circuit.
hichangkyu
An electron and a proton are initially very far apart (effectively an infinite distance apart). They are then brought together to form a hydrogen atom, in which the electron orbits the proton at an average distance of 5.05e-11 m. What is EPEfinal - EPEinitial, which is the change in the electric potential energy?

Homework Equations

V=kq/r
PEfinal=qVfinal

The Attempt at a Solution

since initially, r was very big and V very small, you can consider the initial potential energy to be zero... right?

after that i calculated for V. V= (9.0e9)(-1.6e-19)/5.05e-11 = -28.5148.
what do i do from here? I multiplied by the charge of the electron again and got 4.5623e-18 but that's wrong?

any light that can be shed on this will be greaaaaaaaaatly appreciated. thanks! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
EPEfinal - EPEinitial = qVfinal, where q is the charge of the electron (-1.6e-19 C) and Vfinal is the electric potential at the average orbital distance of 5.05e-11 m. Therefore, the change in electric potential energy is: EPEfinal - EPEinitial = (-1.6e-19 C)(-28.5148 V) = 4.5623e-18 J

You are on the right track! Since the initial distance between the electron and proton was effectively infinite, the initial electric potential energy can be considered zero. Therefore, the change in electric potential energy is simply the final electric potential energy.

To calculate the final electric potential energy, we use the equation PEfinal=qVfinal. You have correctly calculated the electric potential Vfinal to be -28.5148 V. However, you need to use the charge of the electron (1.6e-19 C) instead of the proton's charge to calculate the final electric potential energy.

Therefore, the final electric potential energy is PEfinal=(1.6e-19 C)(-28.5148 V) = -4.5623e-18 J. This is the correct answer for the change in electric potential energy. I hope this helps!

FAQ: Potential energy problem. help >.<

What is potential energy and why is it important?

Potential energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its position or state. It is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of objects and systems.

What are some common types of potential energy?

Some common types of potential energy include gravitational potential energy, elastic potential energy, chemical potential energy, and electrical potential energy.

How is potential energy different from kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. They are both forms of mechanical energy, but potential energy is stored energy while kinetic energy is energy in motion.

How can I calculate potential energy?

The formula for potential energy varies depending on the type of potential energy. For gravitational potential energy, the formula is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object. For elastic potential energy, the formula is PE = 1/2kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from equilibrium.

What are some real-life examples of potential energy?

Some real-life examples of potential energy include a roller coaster at the top of a hill, a stretched rubber band, a book on a shelf, and a battery in a circuit.

Back