Potential/kinetic/mechanical energy

• Thread starter J827
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, a toy rocket that weighs 10 N blasts straight up from ground level with an initial kinetic energy of 40J has a total mechanical energy of 140J at the top of its trajectory. Assuming no air resistance, it rises to a height of 10 meters.
J827

Homework Statement

A toy rocket that weighs 10 N blasts straight up from ground level with an initial kinetic energy of 40J. At the exact top of its trajectory, its total mechanical energy is 140J. To what vertical height above the ground does it rise, assuming no air resistance?

2a. Relevant equations
gravitational potential energy = mgh
potential + kinetic = mechanical energy

3a. The attempt at a solution
if the rocket has 40J of energy on the ground, it has gained 100J at the top of its trajectory*.
GPE = 100J
GPE = mgh
100 = (10)h
h = 10 meters

*I think this is true, but I can't explain why. It's not like it lost 40J of energy to reach the top, but if it's at the top, it isn't moving anymore, so the final kinetic energy is zero, yes?

also, is there a way to use kinematic equations to solve this problem? here's what I tried:
2b. Relevant equations
kinetic energy = 1/2mv^2
weight = mass * gravity
v(final)^2 = v(initial)^2 + 2ad

3b. The attempt at a solution
10N = m(10); m = 1kg
initial kinetic energy = 40J
40 = 1/2 m v^2; initial v^2 = 80
final velocity = 0
0 = 80 + 2(-10)d
d = 4 meters

I feel like I'm missing something fairly obvious. Thanks for any light you can shed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are missing something obvious. It is a toy rocket, toy engines are working for a while ...
Let me know if you need more hints

J827 said:

Homework Statement

A toy rocket that weighs 10 N blasts straight up from ground level with an initial kinetic energy of 40J. At the exact top of its trajectory, its total mechanical energy is 140J. To what vertical height above the ground does it rise, assuming no air resistance?

2a. Relevant equations

3a. The attempt at a solution
if the rocket has 40J of energy on the ground, it has gained 100J at the top of its trajectory*.
GPE = 100J
GPE = mgh
100 = (10)h
h = 10 meters

*I think this is true, but I can't explain why. It's not like it lost 40J of energy to reach the top, but if it's at the top, it isn't moving anymore, so the final kinetic energy is zero, yes?

also, is there a way to use kinematic equations to solve this problem? here's what I tried:
2b. Relevant equations
kinetic energy = 1/2mv^2
weight = mass * gravity
v(final)^2 = v(initial)^2 + 2ad

3b. The attempt at a solution
10N = m(10); m = 1kg
initial kinetic energy = 40J
40 = 1/2 m v^2; initial v^2 = 80
final velocity = 0
0 = 80 + 2(-10)d
d = 4 meters

I feel like I'm missing something fairly obvious. Thanks for any light you can shed.
Yes, you are missing something.

The rocket goes straight up. At the top of its trajectory, what is its speed? Is it zero? If so, what is its kinetic energy at that instant?

Henryk said:
Yes, you are missing something obvious. It is a toy rocket, toy engines are working for a while ...
Let me know if you need more hints

I'm sorry...I don't know what you're trying to hint at here. Are you trying to say that the kinetic energy is still 40 at the top because of the engine? That doesn't make any sense, and is in direct conflict with this:

SammyS said:
The rocket goes straight up. At the top of its trajectory, what is its speed? Is it zero? If so, what is its kinetic energy at that instant?

I said that before. The speed at the top is zero, so kinetic energy should be zero. That would make the 140J all potential, resulting in an answer of 14 meters.

I have been told that the answer to the problem is 10 meters, but I don't understand how the GPE is only 100J. energy isn't a vector quantity, so can't be a negative value...

The rocket is launched straight up. That means no horizontal velocity and we can assume that it moves straight up.
At the top, the velocity is zero, therefore, kinetic energy is zero and all energy is potential.
Therefore, the height is 140 J/10 N = 14 m.

J827 said:
I have been told that the answer to the problem is 10 meters
By a usually reliable source?
Everyone here seems to agree it's 14m.

haruspex said:
By a usually reliable source?
Everyone here seems to agree it's 14m.

yeah...the answer key. however, just because it's usually reliable doesn't mean it's infallible. however, this one seems to have been perpetuated for a long time... through Google, I found this problem on several websites, and the answer given almost every time was 10 m. The only site where I found a handwritten solution gave the answer as 14 m. Gets to the point where it's really better to talk to real people, you know? Thanks for the help.

J827 said:
yeah...the answer key. however, just because it's usually reliable doesn't mean it's infallible. however, this one seems to have been perpetuated for a long time... through Google, I found this problem on several websites, and the answer given almost every time was 10 m. The only site where I found a handwritten solution gave the answer as 14 m. Gets to the point where it's really better to talk to real people, you know? Thanks for the help.
Looks like the question and answer have been blindly copied around from some common erroneous source.

Related to Potential/kinetic/mechanical energy

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or state. It is stored energy that has the potential to do work in the future.

2. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. It is the energy that an object possesses when it is in motion.

3. What is the relationship between potential and kinetic energy?

Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa. As an object moves, its potential energy decreases and its kinetic energy increases. The sum of an object's potential and kinetic energy is known as its mechanical energy.

4. How is mechanical energy calculated?

Mechanical energy is calculated by adding the potential energy and kinetic energy of an object. The formula for mechanical energy is ME = PE + KE.

5. What are some examples of objects with potential, kinetic, and mechanical energy?

An object held above the ground has potential energy, while a moving car has kinetic energy. A pendulum swinging back and forth has both potential and kinetic energy, making up its mechanical energy.