Potential of a non-uniform charged rod

In summary, you are given the charge density, λ, and the distance, R, from a point charge. You substitute λ=Cx to find the potential at the point. You then use the potential to find the electric field at the point.
AJDangles

Homework Statement

A thin charged rod of length L lies along the x-axis as shown in the diagram below.
The charge on the rod is distributed with a density of λ= c x (C /m) where c is a constant.

What is the potential at a point (0,y)? (Your answer should be in terms k, c, L, and y).

See attached pictures for attempt at solution and diagram.

What I'm having trouble with is determining where to sub in λ = cx. Also, I'm not sure how to derive the potential at the point, but I think what I have derived there without solving the integral is the electric field at that point. Also, I don't know how to evaluate the integral (I've never taken a uni-level calc course.. but i know how to do basic u substitution and trig subs if that's what is needed).

Physics news on Phys.org
Diagram and work:

Sorry. Here is the diagram and work:

Wow, fail. K here it is last time lol:

Attachments

• 425855_10150713789287110_515582109_11876213_2043694461_n.jpg
    425855_10150713789287110_515582109_11876213_2043694461_n.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 733
  • 430343_10150713789702110_515582109_11876214_1665364911_n.jpg
    430343_10150713789702110_515582109_11876214_1665364911_n.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 684
Hi AJDangles,

Read the problem again: it asks the potential. Do you know what is the potential of a point-like charge dq at the point shown in the figure?
(The potential is a scalar quantity. At distance R from a point charge Q it is V=kQ/R. )

You are given the linear charge density, λ. It means that the charge of a small piece of length dx is dq=λdx. Substitute λ=Cx.

Take care, the charge density is of opposite sign for negative x values than for the positive ones.

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
You are given the linear charge density, λ. It means that the charge of a small piece of length dx is dq=λdx. Substitute λ=Cx.

Take care, the charge density is of opposite sign for negative x values than for the positive ones.
Lets say λ= constant c times x3
λ= cx3
I integrated from 0 to a
so
Q=∫cxdx
Q= ca4/4

How can I find c?
Can I set Q=0?
The reason I'm asking is because my assignment ask me to find the total dipole moment

Last edited:

Related to Potential of a non-uniform charged rod

1. What is the formula for calculating the potential of a non-uniform charged rod?

The formula for calculating the potential of a non-uniform charged rod is V = k∫λ(x) dx/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, ∫λ(x) dx is the integral of the charge density function over the length of the rod, and r is the distance from a point to the rod.

2. How does the potential of a non-uniform charged rod differ from a uniform charged rod?

The potential of a non-uniform charged rod varies along its length, while the potential of a uniform charged rod is constant. This is because the charge density is not evenly distributed along the non-uniform rod, resulting in a varying electric field and potential.

3. What is the significance of the potential of a non-uniform charged rod?

The potential of a non-uniform charged rod is important as it helps to understand the behavior of electric fields and the distribution of charge. It also has practical applications in designing and analyzing electrical circuits and devices.

4. Can the potential of a non-uniform charged rod be negative?

Yes, the potential of a non-uniform charged rod can be negative. This occurs when the charge density is higher in one region of the rod, resulting in a stronger electric field and a negative potential in that region.

5. How can the potential of a non-uniform charged rod be measured experimentally?

The potential of a non-uniform charged rod can be measured experimentally by using a voltmeter or an electrometer. The rod can be connected to one end of the voltmeter, while the other end is placed at different points along the rod to measure the potential at those points.