Potential of two parallel infinite wires

In summary, the problem involves two parallel infinite wires with opposite charges and asks for the potential and equipotential surfaces. The use of gaussian surfaces is suggested, but the cartesian coordinates and lack of symmetry may complicate the problem. A hint is given to consider how the electric field equation would change if the wire is not on the axis.
BenBa

Homework Statement

Two parallel infinite wires lay parallel to the z-axis in the xz-plane. One located at x=d has charge distribution λ and one located at x=-d has charge distribution -λ.

Homework Equations

a) Find the potential V(x,y,z) using the origin as a reference
b)Show that the equipotential surfaces are circular cylinders parallel to, but not coaxial with, the wires. For a given V_0 determine the corresponding axis and radius of the cylinder.

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe we can approach this problem with gaussian surfaces, but i am confused on how to exactly use the fact that the origin is a reference. Also the fact that its in cartesian is messing with my ability to do the problem, there is so much cylindrical symmetry...

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe we can approach this problem with gaussian surfaces, but i am confused on how to exactly use the fact that the origin is a reference. Also the fact that its in cartesian is messing with my ability to do the problem, there is so much cylindrical symmetry...
Normally you'd do this problem for one wire, with the wire along the x-axis or similar.

This gives you an equation for the electric field about that axis.
What happens to that equation if the wire is not on the axis?

Hint: if a simple parabola were centered on the y-axis it would have equation ##y=x^2##, if it were now centered on the line x=d, it would have equation ##y=(x-d)^2##.

Related to Potential of two parallel infinite wires

What is the potential at a point between two parallel infinite wires?

The potential at a point between two parallel infinite wires is determined by the distance between the wires, the magnitude of the charges on each wire, and the distance from the wires to the point. The potential is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charges and inversely proportional to the distance between the wires. It is also inversely proportional to the distance from the wires to the point.

How does the potential change as the distance between the wires increases?

The potential decreases as the distance between the wires increases. This is because the electric field between the wires decreases with increasing distance, resulting in a weaker potential. However, the potential also depends on the distance from the wires to the point, so this relationship is not linear.

What happens to the potential if the charges on the wires are of opposite signs?

If the charges on the wires are of opposite signs, the potential between the wires will be negative. This is because the electric field between the wires will be directed towards the wire with the opposite charge, resulting in a negative potential. However, the potential at points outside of the wires may still be positive depending on their distance from the wires.

Can the potential between two parallel infinite wires ever be zero?

Yes, the potential between two parallel infinite wires can be zero at points equidistant from both wires. This is because the electric field from each wire cancels out at these points, resulting in a net electric field of zero and therefore a zero potential.

Is there a limit to the potential between two parallel infinite wires?

No, the potential between two parallel infinite wires can theoretically approach infinity as the distance between the wires approaches zero. However, in reality, there will always be a limit due to the finite distance between the wires and the finite amount of charge on each wire.