Potential step with infinite potential barrier (D.A.B Miller problem 2.8.6)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the magnitude of the reflected wave in a potential structure with an infinite barrier. The homework equations and attempt at a solution are also mentioned, with the suggestion to use a faster method that takes into account the total magnitude of the wave. It is concluded that the magnitude of the reflected wave is equal to B+C and the calculation to solve for C is relatively simple.
roz77

Homework Statement

We have a potential structure as follows: from z=negative infinity to z=-b, the potential is 0. At z=-b, the potential jumps up to some V_0. Then, at z=0, there is a potential barrier of infinite height. I need to solve for the magnitude of the reflected wave (i.e. the wave propagating to the left). Assume that E is greater than V_0.

Homework Equations

We know that to the left, where the potential is 0, the wavefunction has the from Aexp(ikz) + Bexp(-ikz), where k=sqrt(2mE)/h-bar. To the right, where the potential is equal to V_0, the wavefunction is of the form Csin(fz), where f=-sqrt(2m(E-V_0))/h-bar.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really unsure. I know that we have the boundary conditions at z=-b, that the wavefunction has to be continuous and the derivative has to be continuous as well. It get's really messy though, because z=-b, and not 0. The TA also told us to utilize the fact that the probability over the entire region (from negative infinity to 0) is 1. Problem is though, I'm having trouble normalizing everything. Anybody have any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Normalizing is not possible in this case. You have a free wave on an infinite domain, so no chance of normalization.

So will have to keep one parameter, B as strength of the incoming wave and solve for the other two. You have two equations so there should be no problem, although the coefficients might be complicated.

Actually there is a faster way without doing any calculations.

Maybe you misunderstood the TA but the fast ways takes into account a similar argument.

So what would the faster way to do it be?

Well, you have an incoming wave of particles from the left hitting an infinite barrier and getting reflected.
How many particles will return?

See, I do get that. Clearly the entire wave eventually is reflected back because of the infinite barrier. However, it asks for the magnitude of the wave propagating to the left, and I took that to mean the wave that is reflected when it hits the step at z=-b. I also have to solve for C, so if the magnitude of the reflected wave is just 1, I don't see how we can possibly solve for C.

You cannot distinguish between a wave that is reflected ab -b or at 0. They both contribute to the total magnitude which then of course has to be 1.
If you want to split it, you can only measure the intensity of the wave in the domain -b to 0. This will then consist of the incoming and the refelcted wave. To get this coefficient C you have to solve the two equations. This is not difficult. It will be a 5 line calculation (including the two equations you start with).

So would the magnitude of the reflected wave just be B+C?

Duh. Magnitude is 1. Nevermind.

FAQ: Potential step with infinite potential barrier (D.A.B Miller problem 2.8.6)

1. What is the D.A.B Miller problem 2.8.6?

The D.A.B Miller problem 2.8.6 is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of a particle encountering a potential step with an infinite potential barrier. It is often used to study the quantum mechanical properties of electrons and other particles.

2. How does the particle behave in the D.A.B Miller problem 2.8.6?

In this problem, the particle can either be reflected or transmitted at the potential step, depending on its energy and the height of the potential barrier. If the particle's energy is lower than the height of the barrier, it will be completely reflected. If the energy is higher, it will be partially transmitted and partially reflected.

3. What is the significance of the infinite potential barrier in this problem?

The infinite potential barrier represents an impenetrable barrier that the particle cannot pass through. It allows us to study the effects of barrier height and particle energy on reflection and transmission without the added complexity of a penetrable barrier.

4. How is the D.A.B Miller problem 2.8.6 related to quantum mechanics?

This problem is a common example used in quantum mechanics to illustrate the wave-like behavior of particles. The particle's wave function, which describes its probability of being found at a certain location, is used to calculate the probability of reflection and transmission at the potential step.

5. What are some real-world applications of the D.A.B Miller problem 2.8.6?

This problem has applications in various fields, including electronics, nuclear physics, and quantum computing. For example, it can help us understand the behavior of electrons in semiconductor devices and the interactions of particles in nuclear reactors. It is also relevant in designing quantum algorithms for computers.