What Causes Liquid to Form a Link Chain Shape When Poured Slowly?

• Thread starter johnsmi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Liquids
In summary, this person has observed that when liquids are poured slowly and at a constant speed, they form a link chain shape. This could be due to pressure differences, or other factors.
johnsmi
Hi,

I've been away for quite some time but I'm back now.

After some observations lately, I noticed an interesting thing about pouring liquids.
While pouring a liquid out of a bottle (you should try out next time you pour your milk or somthing) the liquid, providing it is poured slowly and at a constant speed forms a link chain shape :
chain-links.jpg

here are some examples: but you should really try it yourself to see:
work.3412233.4.fp,375x360,mocha,black,flat,l,ffffff.jpg
http://fotosa.ru/stock_photo/Creatas_JI/p_432017.jpg
pouring+in+liquid.jpg
2443957637_4cfbd5e935.jpg

http://www.fotobank.ru/img/FC02-8358.jpg?size=l

Does anyone have an idea why?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nice observation.I suspect that the shape with which the liquid leaves the bottle/container has a large effect.The bottom part of the liquid stream initially leaves the container with a shape determined by the lip of the container and the top part of the stream is more flattened.As it falls surface tension tends to pull the stream into a more cylindrical shape and this possibly may result in oscillations of the stream.Other factors such as viscosity must play a part.These are just my first impression thoughts.

Could also have something to do with the pressure differences in liquid due to the upper liquid pressing on the liquid beneath it right near the edge of the bottle. Might cause an extra acceleration on one side, and since the other part (upper liquid) is moving slower, the liquid which is going faster could be dragging it along for the ride, giving the whole thing that spin.
Just my humble opinion.

Fluid jets are a venerable problem, and the question of stability has only been solved for axisymmetric cases. Your observation is due, in part, to the fact that fluid is not issuing from an orifice (in the sense that cylindrical jets issue from an orifice). Consequently, your problem is the free surface of the fluid *everywhere*, including the fluid "still in the container".

There's only a few statements that can be made at this time: that the local curvature reflects the (local) pressure jump across the interface, and the interfacial energy acts to minimize the surface area.

I haven't read this:

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/117943507/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

but it should give you an idea of what is considered state-of-the-art knowledge.

for sharing your observation! I find this phenomenon very interesting. The reason why a liquid forms a link chain shape when poured slowly and at a constant speed can be explained by the concept of surface tension. Surface tension is the property of a liquid that allows it to resist external forces and maintain its shape. When a liquid is poured slowly and at a constant speed, the surface tension creates a thin film of liquid that connects the pouring stream to the main body of liquid. This creates a link chain shape as the liquid is pulled down by gravity while still connected to the main body. This phenomenon can also be observed when pouring honey or syrup, as they have a higher surface tension compared to water. I encourage you to try this experiment with different liquids and observe how surface tension affects their pouring behavior. Thank you for bringing attention to this interesting observation!

Related to What Causes Liquid to Form a Link Chain Shape When Poured Slowly?

1. How does the rate of pouring affect the flow of a liquid?

The rate of pouring can significantly affect the flow of a liquid. When a liquid is poured slowly, it has more time to spread out and create a larger surface area, leading to a slower flow. On the other hand, pouring a liquid quickly will result in a more concentrated stream, leading to a faster flow.

2. Why do liquids sometimes form air bubbles when poured?

Liquids can form air bubbles when poured due to the difference in surface tension between the liquid and the air. When a liquid is poured, it creates a disturbance in the surface tension, causing air to become trapped and form bubbles.

3. Can the temperature of a liquid affect its pouring behavior?

Yes, the temperature of a liquid can affect its pouring behavior. As liquids are heated, their viscosity decreases, making them flow faster and more easily. On the other hand, cooling a liquid will increase its viscosity, resulting in a slower and thicker pour.

4. What factors can affect the shape of a liquid stream when poured?

The shape of a liquid stream when poured can be affected by various factors, including gravity, surface tension, viscosity, and the shape of the container. These factors can all impact how the liquid flows and the resulting shape of the stream.

5. How can I control the flow of a liquid when pouring?

Controlling the flow of a liquid when pouring can be achieved by adjusting the height and angle at which the liquid is poured, as well as the speed at which it is poured. Additionally, using a funnel or a spout can help direct the flow of the liquid and prevent spills or splashing.