Power by Motor on Pulley System

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving pulleys and tensions. One person's approach involves using the pin at C as a datum and estimating the speed of the load. However, they are unsure about the tension and the motor's force. The other person clarifies that the tension on each rope is 100 pounds, resulting in a total tension of 200 pounds on the motor. They also mention that the work done by the motor on the rope must equal the work done on the load by the rope. Finally, they point out that the speed of the load is related to the ratio of the forces on each rope, with the load traveling half the distance of the motor.
k_squared

Homework Statement

KYeRzZ7.png

Homework Equations

P = T*V
F=ma
3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

My approach was this: Using the pin at C as a datum, I figured that DB=CD and thus 2CD + AC = l. Thus I figured that at 3 ft/s, A was rising 3/2 feet per second.

However, I also figured the it would just be (3/2=v)(F=force required to keep box from accelerating, as the speed is constant.)I'm apparently wrong about this. The book gives the equation:
T1 - 100 = 0
100 + 100 -T2 = 0

...I take it T2 is on the motor, but, I'm not sure. Could someone please give me a hint about the tensions? These pulley problems have been killing me even where everything else is easy!

Physics news on Phys.org
k_squared said:
T1 - 100 = 0
100 + 100 -T2 = 0

Evidently T1 is the tension in the piece of rope between A and C.

T2 is the tension in the piece of rope between B and E.

So the motor is exerting a force of 200 lb.

k_squared said:
My approach was this: Using the pin at C as a datum, I figured that DB=CD and thus 2CD + AC = l. Thus I figured that at 3 ft/s, A was rising 3/2 feet per second.

I don't follow. I think you meant BC=BD?

Anyway, the work done by the motor on the rope has to equal the work done on the load by the rope.

Why is the tension 200... is is because the pulling is from both sides?

k_squared said:
Why is the tension 200... is is because the pulling is from both sides?

When you solve the equation

100 + 100 -T2 = 0

for T2, you get 200 lb.

It's because there are two ropes pulling upward on the pulley B, and each rope has a tension of 100 lb.

Does the statement I made about the work done help you?

Ahh... I understand. The tension in the rope attached to the load is uniformly 100 pounds, and the motor is pulling against *two* such segments. That kinda makes sense. I have no problem whatsoever computing the work power on systems without pulleys... I seem generically bad at getting the tension, though.

So technically... no, the last thing you said was the only thing that didn't help me! So basically, this set up is backwards, because the load has mechanical advantage on the motor?

Would that mean that if the load and the motor were switched, the motor would only have to develop 50 lbs of tension in the rope to be in equilibrium?

The statement I referred to was an attempt to get you to understand the speed of the load. You have it wrong in your attempted solution. I also asked you about a typo you may have made in labeling the rope segments?

Yes, I meant BC=BD... I'm still not sure I understand the speed of the load, I'm going to review that section if I can find it.

The work done by the motor on the rope has to equal the work done on the load by the rope. Work equals force times distance. If the force on rope BE is two times the force on rope AC then what does that tell you about the distance traveled by each section of rope?

...BE travels half the distance as AC?

Right, so that tells you the relationship between the speeds. You had it backwards originally!

Related to Power by Motor on Pulley System

1. What is a power by motor on pulley system?

A power by motor on pulley system is a mechanical system that uses a motor to drive a series of pulleys and belts to transfer power and motion from one component to another.

2. How does a power by motor on pulley system work?

In a power by motor on pulley system, the motor provides rotational motion which is transferred to a pulley. The pulley then drives a belt or chain, which is connected to another pulley on a different component, causing it to rotate and transfer power.

3. What are the advantages of using a power by motor on pulley system?

One advantage of using a power by motor on pulley system is that it allows for the transfer of power and motion over long distances without the need for multiple motors. It also allows for speed and torque adjustments by using different sized pulleys.

4. What are some common applications of a power by motor on pulley system?

Power by motor on pulley systems are commonly used in various industries such as manufacturing, transportation, and construction. They can be found in machines such as conveyor belts, cranes, and elevators.

5. How do I calculate the mechanical advantage of a power by motor on pulley system?

To calculate the mechanical advantage of a power by motor on pulley system, you would divide the output force by the input force. This will give you the ratio of the force being exerted by the motor to the force being transferred by the pulleys.