Power contained in a periodic signal (complex exponentials)

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of power in a periodic signal x(t) = 10.0[cos(160.7πt)]^4. The person initially used inverse Euler formula and performed appropriate integration, but ended up with a constant value for ak for all values of k. They then considered k for odd and even values and found a power expression, but encountered a calculation error resulting in a final answer of 0. They then asked for guidance in the right direction or steps to plot out.
Jd303
Compute the power contained in the periodic signal x(t) = 10.0[cos(160.7πt)]^4

The problem I have is I end up with a constant value for ak for all values of k
-I start by using inverse Euler formula
-Do the appropriate integration
-Then consider k for odd and even values

My working is attached, if anyone is able to show me the correct procedure, or is able to shed some light for me to understand the topic better it would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0167[1].jpg
    IMG_0167[1].jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 704
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Power = energy per integer number of periods/time of that number of periods
= ∫x(t)2dt over n periods T/nT.

An expansion I found that might be useful is
cos4(x) = (1/8)[3 + 4cos(2x) + cos(4x)].

Thanks for the expression, I have since found that i had a calculation error, but fixing this up leaves me with a result of 0. I have tried this both using exponentials and trigonometric identities both yielding a final answer of 0.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or plot out some steps?

Jd303 said:
Thanks for the expression, I have since found that i had a calculation error, but fixing this up leaves me with a result of 0. I have tried this both using exponentials and trigonometric identities both yielding a final answer of 0.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or plot out some steps?

Perform the integration!

I understand your confusion and would be happy to provide some clarification on this topic.

Firstly, it is important to understand that the power contained in a periodic signal is the average amount of energy per unit time that the signal carries. In mathematical terms, it is defined as the square of the signal's amplitude divided by its period.

In the given signal x(t) = 10.0[cos(160.7πt)]^4, we can see that it is a periodic signal with a period of 1/160.7 seconds. Therefore, the power contained in this signal can be computed as follows:

Power = (Amplitude)^2 / Period
= [10.0]^2 / [1/160.7]
= 1607 watts

Now, let's take a look at your working. You have correctly used the inverse Euler formula and performed the integration. However, your confusion seems to be arising from the fact that you are getting a constant value for ak for all values of k.

This is because when you consider k for odd and even values, you are essentially separating the signal into its even and odd components. In this case, both the even and odd components will have the same amplitude and frequency, resulting in the same value for ak.

To better understand this, let's take a look at the Fourier series representation of the given signal:

x(t) = a0 + ∑[akcos(kωt) + bksin(kωt)]

Here, a0 is the DC component and ak and bk are the coefficients for the cosine and sine terms, respectively. In your working, you have correctly computed a0 as 10.0 and ak as 0 for all values of k.

This is because when you expand the given signal, it can be written as:

x(t) = 10.0[1 + cos(2*80.35πt) + cos(4*80.35πt) + cos(6*80.35πt)]

As you can see, all the terms have the same amplitude of 10.0 and frequency of 80.35π. Hence, the coefficients ak for all values of k will be the same, resulting in a constant value.

In conclusion, the power contained in a periodic signal can be computed by taking the square of its amplitude and dividing it by its period. However, when considering the Fourier series representation, the

FAQ: Power contained in a periodic signal (complex exponentials)

What is the definition of power contained in a periodic signal?

The power contained in a periodic signal is the average power over a single period of the signal. It represents the amount of energy that the signal carries over time.

How is power contained in a periodic signal calculated?

The power contained in a periodic signal can be calculated by taking the squared magnitude of the signal and averaging it over a single period. This can be expressed mathematically as:

P = (1/T) * ∫T|x(t)|2dt

where T is the period of the signal.

What is the relationship between power contained in a periodic signal and its frequency components?

The power contained in a periodic signal is directly related to its frequency components. A signal with higher frequency components will have a higher power, and vice versa. This is because higher frequency components carry more energy than lower frequency components.

How is power contained in a periodic signal affected by phase shifts?

The power contained in a periodic signal is not affected by phase shifts. This is because phase shifts only change the position of the signal in time, but do not affect the energy or power of the signal.

Can power contained in a periodic signal be negative?

No, the power contained in a periodic signal cannot be negative. Power is a measure of energy over time, and it cannot have a negative value. However, the power of a signal can be zero if the signal has no energy or is equal to zero at all times.

Back