Power Electronics Modules and Vendors - Help Needed

In summary: Thanks Windadct!In summary, the best place to purchase modules for power electronics courses are www.sindopower.com, www.powerguru.com, and www.semiteach.com.
toxic_faisal
Dear all,

I have an urgent task of finding the right experimental modules for Power Electronics Course in my university, for undergrad. level.

Could you please provide me with a list of good and reliable vendors who can provide me with modules that can enable the students to perform experiments relating to Converters (buck,boost), Inverters, Rectifiers, etc.

Your kind help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Faisal

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Toxic:

If you want modules - IMO the best marketplace is www.sindopower.com. In full disclosure I work for the parent company - but that is the only site I know of dedicated to PE suppliers. Another good site is www.powerguru.com - not a marketplace and not independent, but Bodo's Power is independent and they take part, and you see articles in there from competitors - etc. Lastly - it has a good global Jobs database - always interesting.

If you need top "build" a system from scratch they have the parts ( Modules, Drivers, Heatsinks, current sensors, caps and fuse blocks etc)- if you are working on the controls look up the "SEMITEACH" - it is a plexi enclosed stack for education. If you run into a situation needing 1 pc and there is a minimum buy quantity - send them and e-mail with your University details - class etc - they will help you out.

Lastly - the Semisel simulator for device selection is also the best I have seen. ( from an educational standpoint - nothing beats a Theory, planning,Simulation that you can then verify once built - it is all about the losses and heat)

Let me know the power levels and circuit details I would be happy to help with basic design and device selection.

If you need to go really cheap - you can ebay for the following Powerex, Infineon, Semikron.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Windadct,

Your response was so kind and helpful. I have gone through most of the links you provided me.

If I could be clearer now, I am looking for a specific vendor, who could provided me with a module or multiple modules to carry out all the relevant experiments (involving rectifier, inverters, and different types of converters). From the above links, I could fix bits of my problem, but I am looking for one such vendor that provides modules for all of the mentioned experiments.

Note: The experiments are not very advanced, just basic power electronics course lab work.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
Faisal Khan

Hello Again Faisal:

Unfortunately there could be thousands of experiments. If you could be more specific I can be more helpful.
Three different types of common rectifiers, and there there active rectifiers, is your source 3 phase or 1? ( If you are going to use thyristors yo will also need a trigger or firing card)
Inverters :- What voltage, frequencies ( fsw and Fout), power levels, # of phases etc.
These are all technically converters - but I am assuming you mean Buck, Boost and possible brake choppers - again many of the same apply.
Both MOSFET and IGBTs need drivers - drivers are selected based on the sige and operating conditions of the MOSFET or IGBT.

There literally thousands of possible combinations. Since these are not cheap components - I would really not want to have you buying items you do not need or are oversized, non-compatible - etc.

The Semiteach is built for standard university classes - is there a reason it is not suitable? On the smaller side look up SK 20 DGDL 065 ET - this single module is 20Anom IGBT inverter, brake and 3 phase uncontrolled rectifier, as it is IGBT switching losses account for a lot if its heat- so expect ~10A output - you still need a driver for the IGBTs - SKHI 71 - is a 7 channel driver - integrating these would require the development of a PCB.

Dear Faisal,

As a scientist in the field of power electronics, I understand the importance of finding reliable and high-quality experimental modules for your university course. I would be happy to provide you with some recommendations for vendors that offer such modules.

Firstly, I would suggest looking into companies such as Texas Instruments, Analog Devices, and Infineon Technologies. These vendors have a wide range of power electronics modules that are suitable for undergraduate level experiments in converters, inverters, and rectifiers. They also have a good reputation for providing reliable and durable products.

Additionally, I would recommend checking out online marketplaces such as Digi-Key and Mouser Electronics, which offer a variety of power electronics modules from different vendors. These marketplaces often have customer reviews and ratings that can help you in making an informed decision about the quality and reliability of the modules.

In terms of specific modules, I would suggest looking for ones that have a simple and user-friendly design, as well as clear instructions for students to follow. It would also be beneficial to choose modules that have built-in safety features and protection mechanisms to ensure the safety of your students while conducting experiments.

I hope this information helps you in finding the right vendors and modules for your Power Electronics course. Best of luck in your search and please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Related to Power Electronics Modules and Vendors - Help Needed

1. What is a power electronics module?

A power electronics module is a device that contains multiple power electronic components, such as transistors, diodes, and capacitors, in a single package. These modules are used to convert and control electrical power in various applications, such as motor drives, renewable energy systems, and power supplies.

2. What are the main components of a power electronics module?

The main components of a power electronics module include semiconductor devices, such as insulated-gate bipolar transistors (IGBTs) and metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistors (MOSFETs), along with passive components like resistors, capacitors, and inductors. Some modules may also include thermal management components such as heat sinks or fans.

3. What are the advantages of using power electronics modules?

Power electronics modules offer several advantages, including compact size, improved reliability, and reduced assembly and installation time. They also provide better thermal management and higher power density compared to traditional discrete components, making them ideal for high-power applications.

4. How do I choose the right power electronics module for my application?

Choosing the right power electronics module depends on several factors, including the required voltage and current ratings, switching frequency, and thermal characteristics. It is important to consult with a reputable vendor and provide them with specific requirements to ensure you select the best module for your application.

5. What are some popular vendors of power electronics modules?

Some popular vendors of power electronics modules include Infineon Technologies, Mitsubishi Electric, Texas Instruments, and ON Semiconductor. It is important to research and compare different vendors to find the best module for your specific application needs.