Power Loss in transmission lines: Which method is correct?

In summary, there is an error in the problem statement as it is over-constraining the problem. The transformed output voltage is not 10V. The first method is correct in using the input voltage and output current to determine the transformed output voltage, while the second method is incorrect in using the TL voltage drops to calculate the transformed output voltage.
PaulK
Here is the problem:
http://postimage.org/image/1jy6nol5w/

Method 1:

Steps
1. Calculate V(T1)=12*10=120V,
V(T2)=10*10=100V
2. Since V(3)=10V and I(3)=1A, P(T3)=10W
3. Since not otherwise stated, Assume transformers are perfect.
4. So P(T3)= P(T2) = 10W
5. known P(T2)=10w and V(T2) =100V, Calculate: I(T2)= 10/100 = 0.1 A
6. Since resistors are connected in series, Current through each resistor = 0.1A
7. Power Loss = (0.1)^2 * R = 0.001 * 16 = 0.16WMethod 2.
V(T2)=10*10=100V
2. Voltage consume by resistors = V(T1)- V(T2) = 120 -100 =20V
3. Power loss = (20)^2 /16 = 25W
Both method seem to make sense, but of course only one of the is right (Or none?)
Please tell me which one is wrong and why.

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
PaulK said:
Here is the problem:
http://postimage.org/image/1jy6nol5w/

Method 1:

Steps
V(T2)=10*10=100V
2. Since V(3)=10V and I(3)=1A, P(T3)=10W
3. Since not otherwise stated, Assume transformers are perfect.
4. So P(T3)= P(T2) = 10W
5. known P(T2)=10w and V(T2) =100V, Calculate: I(T2)= 10/100 = 0.1 A
6. Since resistors are connected in series, Current through each resistor = 0.1A
7. Power Loss = (0.1)^2 * R = 0.001 * 16 = 0.16W

Method 2.
V(T2)=10*10=100V
2. Voltage consume by resistors = V(T1)- V(T2) = 120 -100 =20V
3. Power loss = (20)^2 /16 = 25W

Both method seem to make sense, but of course only one of the is right (Or none?)
Please tell me which one is wrong and why.

Thanks a lot.

I think there is an error in the problem statement. They are over-constraining the problem by giving you an output voltage of 10V.

Start with the input voltage and output current (like in your First Method). The output current defines the TL current of 0.1A, which defines the voltage drops across the TL resistors. The input voltage and the TL voltage drops define the transformed output voltage. What do you get for the transformed output voltage? Not 10V.

Last edited:
It is such a relief. Thanks a lot, berkeman.

FAQ: Power Loss in transmission lines: Which method is correct?

1. What causes power loss in transmission lines?

Power loss in transmission lines is primarily caused by resistance in the wires themselves. As electricity flows through the wires, some energy is lost due to the natural resistance of the material. This resistance increases with the length of the transmission line and the amount of current flowing through it.

2. Is AC or DC transmission more efficient in reducing power loss?

AC (alternating current) transmission is generally more efficient in reducing power loss compared to DC (direct current) transmission. This is because AC can be easily stepped up or down in voltage using transformers, allowing for the use of higher voltages that result in lower currents and therefore less power loss.

3. Can power loss in transmission lines be completely eliminated?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate power loss in transmission lines. However, advancements in technology and better design of transmission systems have significantly reduced power loss over the years. Currently, the industry standard for power loss in transmission lines is less than 5%.

4. How do weather conditions affect power loss in transmission lines?

Extreme weather conditions such as high winds, lightning strikes, and heavy rain or snow can cause disruptions and damage to transmission lines, leading to increased power loss. This is why transmission lines are designed to withstand a certain level of weather conditions, and regular maintenance is necessary to ensure optimal performance.

5. Are there any alternative methods to reduce power loss in transmission lines?

Yes, there are alternative methods being researched and implemented to reduce power loss in transmission lines. Some of these methods include using high-temperature superconductors, using smart grid technology to optimize power flow, and using renewable energy sources closer to the point of consumption to reduce the need for long-distance transmission.