Power needed to overcome friction and gravity

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a packing case being loaded onto a lorry by being dragged up an incline. The conversation discusses calculating the power needed to overcome friction and gravity, as well as the total power needed. The person asking for help also mentions being unsure about what to do with the incline. A summary of the attempted solution is also provided.
bungouk

Homework Statement

Hi all please could you take a look at this question and help me

1) A packing case weighing 1000N is loaded onto the back of a lorry by being dragged up an incline of 1 in 5 at a steady speed of 2m/s. the frictional resistance to motion is 240N, Calculate:
a. The power required to overcome friction

b. The power needed to overcome gravity
c. The total power needed

The problem I have is i don't know what i need to do to the incline.
Please could someone guide me

Homework Equations

Power needed to overcome friction = friction force * velocity along surface

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a.
Power needed to overcome friction = friction force * velocity along surface
Power needed to overcome force = 240N * 2m/s = 480N
Therefore power need is 480N to overcome the friction.

Now not sure if part a is correct also I'm stuck with part b. i don't know what to do now

Physics news on Phys.org
Work is defined as the product of force and the displacement in the direction of the force. For gravity that would be the vertical displacement. Think about the consequences for power.

bungouk said:
Power needed to overcome force = 240N * 2m/s = 480N
Therefore power need is 480N to overcome the friction.
Right number, wrong units.

For b)...

As it goes up the slope it's height and therefore it's PE is changing. Power is the rate of change of energy.

bungouk said:

Homework Statement

Hi all please could you take a look at this question and help me

1) A packing case weighing 1000N is loaded onto the back of a lorry by being dragged up an incline of 1 in 5 at a steady speed of 2m/s. the frictional resistance to motion is 240N, Calculate:
a. The power required to overcome friction

b. The power needed to overcome gravity
c. The total power needed

in my mind, incline of 1 in 5 as figured bellow
block_on_incline.png

a. answered.. [itex]P_{friction}=480 joule/s = 480 [/itex]watt
b. to overcome gravity
[itex]P_{g}=mg.sin θ v= 1000 \frac {1} {5} 2[/itex]watt

c. [itex]P_{total}=480+200=680[/itex]watt

arifz2303 said:
b. to overcome gravity
[itex]P_{g}=mg.sin θ v= 1000 \frac {1} {5} 2[/itex]watt

c. [itex]P_{total}=480+200=680[/itex]watt

1. The protocol on these homework fora is to nudge people in the right direction, not write out complete solutions.
2. Check your arithmetic.

Related to Power needed to overcome friction and gravity

1. How does friction affect the amount of power needed to overcome it?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, so the amount of friction between two surfaces will determine the amount of power needed to overcome it. The greater the force of friction, the more power is required to overcome it.

2. Does the surface type affect the power needed to overcome friction?

Yes, different surface types have different levels of friction. Rougher surfaces typically have more friction, so more power is needed to overcome it. Smoother surfaces have less friction, requiring less power to overcome.

3. How does gravity impact the power needed to overcome friction?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards each other. In the case of overcoming friction, gravity plays a role in determining the weight of the object and how much force is needed to move it. The greater the weight, the more power is needed to overcome friction.

4. Is there a mathematical formula for calculating the power needed to overcome friction and gravity?

Yes, the formula for calculating the power needed to overcome friction and gravity is P = F x v, where P is power, F is the force needed to overcome friction and gravity, and v is the velocity of the object.

5. Can the power needed to overcome friction and gravity be reduced?

Yes, the power needed to overcome friction and gravity can be reduced by using lubricants or choosing smoother surfaces. Additionally, reducing the weight of the object can also decrease the amount of power needed to overcome these forces.