Power of constant force for a given displacement

In summary: W is the infinitesimal work done in a small time interval dt. In summary, the conversation is about calculating the power developed by a constant force acting on an object starting at y=0 and with zero initial velocity, as it moves to y=1.5m and reaches a final velocity of 8 m/s. Two different approaches are used, one resulting in the instantaneous power at the end of the motion and the other resulting in the average power during the entire motion. The question of whether the second approach can also be used to calculate instantaneous power is addressed, with the conclusion that P = dW/dt must be used for instantaneous power.
sunquick

Homework Statement

An object is subject to a constant force of known magnitude, starting the motion from [itex]y = 0 [/itex] , and with zero initial velocity. Calculate the power developed by the force during the motion of the object from y= 0 to y = 1.5, and at y=1.5m , v = 8 m/s.

Homework Equations

[itex] v^2 = 2 a y [/itex]

[itex] v = a t [/itex]

[itex] P = F v [/itex]

[itex] P = \frac{W}{t}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] P = F v = F \sqrt{2ya} [/itex]

but on the other hand
[itex]t = \frac{v}{a} = \frac{v}{v^2/2y} =\frac{2y}{v} [/itex]

[itex]P =\frac{W}{t} =\frac{Fy}{t} = \frac{F}{2} v = \frac{F}{2} \sqrt{2ya} [/itex]

So I tried working the problem out in two different ways, and I get a paradox:
[itex] F = \frac{F}{2} [/itex]

I must have done something stupid like dividing by zero but I can't figure out really where I messed up.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your second approach is correct -- the issue with the first one is that the velocity isn't constant, so if you use the final velocity it doesn't take into account the earlier changes in velocity.

In the formula P = Fv, if you want to calculate the average power than you ought to use the average velocity. Did you?

Thank you for the replies.

I was trying to calculate the power at the end of the motion, y=1.5 m . At that instant I can calculate the power, since I care only for the final velocity, which I know, then P = F v.
The second approach P = W/t is valid in this case to calculate the instantenous power too right?

The average speed is

[itex] v_{avg} = \frac{y}{t} [/itex]

[itex] t =\frac{v_{f}}{a} [/itex]

[itex] y=\frac{v_{f}^2}{2a} [/itex]

[itex] v_{avg} = \frac{v_{f}}{2} [/itex]

[itex] v_{f}^2= 2ay [/itex] (f for final)

So my first approach resulted in the instanteneous power at the end of the motion, while the second resulted in the average power during all of the motion.

I still have one question: The second approach P = W/t is valid in this case to calculate the instantenous power too?

Last edited:
sunquick said:
Thank you for the replies.

I was trying to calculate the power at the end of the motion, y=1.5 m . At that instant I can calculate the power, since I care only for the final velocity, which I know, then P = F v.
The second approach P = W/t is valid in this case to calculate the instantenous power too right?

The average speed is

[itex] v_{avg} = \frac{y}{t} [/itex]

[itex] t =\frac{v_{f}}{a} [/itex]

[itex] y=\frac{v_{f}^2}{2a} [/itex]

[itex] v_{avg} = \frac{v_{f}}{2} [/itex]

[itex] v_{f}^2= 2ay [/itex] (f for final)

So my first approach resulted in the instanteneous power at the end of the motion, while the second resulted in the average power during all of the motion.

I still have one question: The second approach P = W/t is valid in this case to calculate the instantenous power too?

No, if you want instantaneous power you have to use P = dW/dt

FAQ: Power of constant force for a given displacement

What is the definition of "power of constant force for a given displacement"?

The power of constant force for a given displacement refers to the amount of work done per unit time when a constant force is applied to an object and it moves a certain distance in the direction of the force.

How is the power of constant force for a given displacement calculated?

The power of constant force for a given displacement can be calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force, and then dividing by the time it takes to complete the displacement. Mathematically, it is expressed as P = F * d / t.

What is the unit of measurement for the power of constant force for a given displacement?

The unit of measurement for power is watts (W), which is equivalent to joules per second (J/s). This means that one watt is equal to one joule of work done per second.

What is the relationship between power and constant force for a given displacement?

The power of constant force for a given displacement is directly proportional to the force applied and the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. This means that the greater the force applied or the longer the distance covered, the higher the power.

How does the power of constant force for a given displacement affect the speed of an object?

The power of constant force for a given displacement is related to the speed of an object through the equation P = m * v^2 / t, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. This means that a greater power results in a higher speed, as long as the mass and time remain constant.

Back