Power required the support a helicopter

In summary: The total mass of the air propelled by the helicopter in one second is 810 kg. The kinetic energy of that mass is 4500 J.
Doyouevenlift
A rescue helicopter of mass 810 kg, supports itself in a stationary position by imparting
a downward velocity, v, to the air in a circle of radius 4.0 m. The density of the air is
1.20 kg m-3.

Calculate:
(i) the value of v
(ii) the power, P, required to support the helicopter

So, I do have the solution to part one, which is 11.5 ms-1. However, the solution for ii eludes me. The answer sheet does something weird:

Power = 0.5(pi*4^2)(1.2)v^3. From the first term I'm guessing they're using E=.5mv^2, but why is the velocity raised to the third?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"I'm guessing" is not the way to solve problems in physics.

This problem can be solved by using the impulse-momentum equation.

voko said:
"I'm guessing" is not the way to solve problems in physics.

This problem can be solved by using the impulse-momentum equation.

That's why I asked it, you arrogant person.

I do not think I was or am being arrogant. I pointed out that guessing how the problem is solved from the answer, as you tried to, is almost never productive.

On the other hand, you did not demonstrate any other attempt at solving the problem, as is required in this forum.

voko said:
I do not think I was or am being arrogant. I pointed out that guessing how the problem is solved from the answer, as you tried to, is almost never productive.

On the other hand, you did not demonstrate any other attempt at solving the problem, as is required in this forum.

My attempt was just using kinetic energy, and my question was why the answer sheet has taken velocity to the third power, which hasn't been answered yet.

What is the total mass of the air propelled by the helicopter in one second? What is the kinetic energy of that mass?

Related to Power required the support a helicopter

What is the concept of power required to support a helicopter?

The power required to support a helicopter refers to the amount of power needed to keep the helicopter hovering in a stationary position. This is influenced by various factors such as the weight of the helicopter, air density, and atmospheric conditions.

How is power required calculated for a helicopter?

The power required for a helicopter is calculated by taking into account the weight of the helicopter, the lift coefficient, and the drag coefficient. These values are then used in the power required formula, which takes into account the helicopter's rotor area, air density, and velocity.

What factors affect the power required to support a helicopter?

The main factors that affect the power required to support a helicopter are the weight of the helicopter, air density, atmospheric conditions, and the helicopter's design and rotor size. The power required can also be affected by external factors such as wind and altitude.

How does the weight of a helicopter affect the power required to support it?

The weight of a helicopter has a direct impact on the power required to support it. A heavier helicopter will require more power to overcome gravity and stay in a stationary position. This is why helicopters with larger payloads or more passengers require more power to hover.

What is the significance of power required in helicopter design and performance?

The power required for a helicopter is a key factor in its design and performance. By accurately calculating the power required, engineers can design more efficient and powerful helicopters that can perform various tasks such as lifting heavy loads, flying at higher altitudes, and traveling longer distances.