Power-split planetary gear set power calculation

In summary, the equal force rule is used to calculate the power distribution in a power split planetary gear system, with the forces on the sun and ring always being half of the carrier force. This rule is only applicable when either the ring or sun is fixed, but engineers tend to use it in all cases. Further analysis is being done to determine the correct rule for power distribution in a power split device.
John D
I think we have a problem with this rule. This is my understanding of the existing rule. Am I close?

The rule for calculating the power distribution on a power split planetary gear system is based on the equal force rule.
To calculate the power on the sun and ring of a planet set with input on the carrier we first determine the power in on the carrier. From the torque on the carrier we determine the force on the carrier based on its radius.
Now we apply the equal force rule.
Because of the planet gear’s independence it maintains its equilibrium between the carrier and the sun and ring. The rule is that the forces on the sun and ring from the carrier are always equal to one half each of the carrier force.
The torques on the sun and ring are proportional to their radius. The power distribution between the ring and sun is rpm dependent.

Engineering news on Phys.org
John D said:
I think we have a problem with this rule.
Where is the equal force rule defined? Under what conditions does it hold?

Thanks Baluncore,
I don't know where it originally came from. It is just what I have been told and what the engineers use when calculating torque through a power split planet set.
I will try to find an official source.
The second part of your question is very key. In my analysis it only holds true when either the ring or the sun is fixed. I think the engineering people have just interpreted this to mean always. We have just started to really look at the planet set as a power split device. I have a 6 page pdf of my analysis with what I think the right rule should be, if you would like me to attach.
John

Related to Power-split planetary gear set power calculation

1. How does a power-split planetary gear set work?

A power-split planetary gear set is a type of transmission that combines the functionality of a traditional automatic transmission with that of an electric motor. It uses a combination of gears and clutches to distribute power from the engine and electric motor to the wheels, allowing for different power configurations and improved efficiency.

2. What are the factors that affect the power calculation of a power-split planetary gear set?

The power calculation of a power-split planetary gear set is affected by several factors, including the gear ratios, torque capacity of the gears, efficiency of the transmission, and power input from the engine and electric motor. The overall design and size of the gear set also play a role in the power calculation.

3. How do you calculate the power split between the engine and electric motor in a power-split planetary gear set?

The power split in a power-split planetary gear set can be calculated by using the gear ratios, torque capacity of the gears, and power input from the engine and electric motor. This can be done using mathematical equations and simulations to determine the power distribution between the two power sources.

4. What are the advantages of using a power-split planetary gear set?

One of the main advantages of a power-split planetary gear set is its ability to improve fuel efficiency by allowing for more efficient power distribution between the engine and electric motor. It also provides smoother and more seamless shifting between gears and allows for different power configurations, making it a versatile and efficient transmission option.

5. How does a power-split planetary gear set compare to other types of transmissions?

In comparison to other types of transmissions, a power-split planetary gear set offers better fuel efficiency and smoother shifting. It also allows for a wider range of power configurations and can be more compact in size. However, it can be more complex and expensive to manufacture and may require more maintenance in the long run.