Power Systems/Nuclear Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of specializing in power systems engineering within the field of electrical engineering at SDSU. The speaker also mentions the potential of pursuing graduate school in either power systems or nuclear engineering, but expresses concerns about the future of nuclear energy. They also mention the possibility of transitioning into energy trading with a focus on power systems.
Physics1
I'm thinking of going to SDSU for electrical engineering with a couple of electives in power systems engineering. Is it a good idea to specialize in this sub-discipline? Is nuclear going to be a good field? I might go to grad school for either power systems or nuclear. I'm not sure nuclear is going to be good even with the Gen IV breeder reactors (sadly not the best design coming but the VHTR) because the politicians are reluctant and so are the people even though it's ideal for being coupled with hydrogen facilities/desalination plants and it's unlimited power.

I've also seen this in the news...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/energy_digital/4276071.html

LOL, I'd hate to be laid off. I know it probably won't do jack since no one could still afford it for awhile, and the utility companies would make sure they keep the grid. I'd hate to see all this wind and solar power crap when nuclear is the best!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
bump!

Power systems will allow the option to move into energy trading if you want.
Interesting subject, but keep in mind there is no "best" in this game.

Related to Power Systems/Nuclear Engineering

1. What is a power system?

A power system is a network of electrical components that work together to generate, transmit, and distribute electricity to consumers. It includes power plants, transformers, transmission lines, and distribution lines.

2. What is nuclear engineering?

Nuclear engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the application of nuclear reactions for the production of energy, radiation, and materials. It involves the design, construction, operation, and maintenance of nuclear power plants, as well as the development of nuclear technologies for medical and industrial purposes.

3. What are the main components of a nuclear power plant?

The main components of a nuclear power plant include the reactor, which contains the nuclear fuel and produces heat through nuclear reactions; the steam generator, which uses the heat from the reactor to produce steam; the turbine, which converts the steam into mechanical energy; and the generator, which converts the mechanical energy into electricity.

4. What is the role of nuclear engineers in power systems?

Nuclear engineers play a crucial role in power systems by designing, operating, and maintaining nuclear power plants to ensure safe and efficient production of electricity. They also conduct research and development to improve nuclear technology and find ways to safely dispose of nuclear waste.

5. What are the main challenges in nuclear engineering and power systems?

Some of the main challenges in nuclear engineering and power systems include ensuring the safety and security of nuclear power plants, managing and disposing of nuclear waste, and finding alternative sources of energy to reduce dependence on nuclear power. Additionally, the high costs and long construction times of nuclear power plants also pose challenges for the industry.