Ppm, equations, atmosphere/molecules help?

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter helpemz2011
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the concentration of a gas in parts per million (ppm) from the given number of molecules per cubic meter of the atmosphere. The solution involves multiplying by 10^6 to convert from molecules/molecules to ppm. The concept of percent concentration is also mentioned.
helpemz2011

Homework Statement

At sea level, there are approximately 2.6 × 1025 molecules m-3 of the atmosphere.
One of the gases making up the atmosphere has a concentration of 3.90 × 1021 molecules m-3. What is the concentration of this gas expressed in parts per million (ppm)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

totally flumoxed once again lol

2.6x1025 - 3.90x1021 = 2.59961x1025

now the answer is wrong, what i have done is wrong and to get the right answer in ppm is completely going over my head for some stupid reason.

Cheers Emma

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give answer in %?

nope tried even that is escaping me

how do i get it into %?

39ppm?

No.

What is definition of % concentration? ppm is very similar, just instead of multiplying by 100% multiply by 106ppm.

This can be a little bit tricky, as you have to calculate ppm in terms of molecules/molecules, while usually we do it mass/mass or something like that. But other than that it is not different.

ok so why multiply by 106?

I just don't get it?

sorry being extra thick today

emz

What is definition of % concentration?

to be perfectly honest i just have no idea.

But you do have a book or notes or at least access to internet, and you know how to use google?

helpmz2011
You may not post any of the TMA questions from The Open University on a public forum. This is considered to be cheating.

Related to Ppm, equations, atmosphere/molecules help?

1. What is PPM and how is it calculated?

PPM stands for Parts Per Million and is a unit of measurement used to express the concentration of a substance in a mixture. It is calculated by dividing the mass of the substance by the total mass of the mixture and multiplying by 1 million.

2. How do equations help in scientific research?

Equations are used in scientific research to represent relationships between different variables and to make predictions about how these variables will change under different conditions. They allow scientists to quantitatively analyze and understand complex phenomena.

3. What role do atmosphere and molecules play in the Earth's climate?

The atmosphere and molecules play a crucial role in regulating the Earth's climate. The atmosphere acts as a protective layer, shielding the Earth from harmful radiation and regulating the planet's temperature. Molecules, such as carbon dioxide and water vapor, trap heat in the atmosphere, leading to the greenhouse effect and influencing the Earth's climate.

4. How do scientists study the composition of the Earth's atmosphere?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study the composition of the Earth's atmosphere, including satellite observations, ground-based measurements, and computer models. These methods allow scientists to collect data on different atmospheric gases and their concentrations, which can then be used to understand the Earth's climate and make predictions about future changes.

5. Can molecules be broken down into smaller particles?

Yes, molecules can be broken down into smaller particles through various chemical reactions. For example, water molecules can be broken down into hydrogen and oxygen molecules through electrolysis. This process is often used in industrial processes to produce hydrogen gas.