Practical control parameters for UAV?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the typical flight speed, control range, link speed, and control delay for a surveillance UAV. The software being written for the base station will transmit signals at a rate of 20Hz and utilize an on-board GPS. However, the accuracy of the calculations and practical values are uncertain.
jakesee
Hi,

Anyone has had experience with UAV control/signal design can tell me what is the typical flight speed (surveillance UAV), control range, link speed and control delay like?

(Sorry, I am not a very good engineering student, furthermore control and signal not my discipline... I can only write decent software.)

I am writing a software for a base station to transmit signals at roughly 20Hz i.e. every 5ms transmit a position set point. The UAV has an on board GPS which will transmit its position to the base station but I read that GPS max rate is 1Hz. I could also transmit a "time" data from both sides to get the elapsed-time...

At 100km range away from the base station a wireless link is theoretically 30 microseconds.
total delay = RTT 60microsecs + BW 5ms (base station) + BW 1s (GPS) = 1.005033s
UAV speed = 300km/h = 83.33m/s
error = 83.75 m
Is this calculation correct?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am not familiar with UAVs but 1/20Hz = 50mS, not 5mS.
Also, a signal traveling 100Km in 30uS seems a bit fast to me. This is 3E9 m/s no?

@es1

looks like i am bad at math as well.. haha..

yea 20Hz = 50ms and the signal is at theoretical speed of light for wireless transmission.

BUT... that's why I am asking, i suspect in practical situations, the range and speed are all affect, so if anyone know the practical values, i'd appreciate much. And also, say, if my calculation is correct (not in the math, but in the theory)

Thanks!

Related to Practical control parameters for UAV?

What are the practical control parameters for UAV?

The practical control parameters for UAV include altitude, pitch, roll, yaw, and throttle. These parameters are used to control the movement and flight of the UAV.

How do altitude and pitch control affect the flight of a UAV?

Altitude control allows the UAV to maintain a specific height from the ground, while pitch control controls the vertical movement of the UAV. Together, these parameters determine the overall altitude and direction of the UAV's flight.

What is the role of roll and yaw control in UAV flight?

Roll control adjusts the horizontal movement of the UAV, while yaw control adjusts the rotation of the UAV along its vertical axis. These parameters are important for maintaining stability and controlling the direction of the UAV.

How does throttle control impact the speed of a UAV?

Throttle control adjusts the power output of the UAV's motors, which in turn affects the speed of the UAV. Increasing throttle will increase the speed of the UAV, while decreasing throttle will slow it down.

What factors should be considered when setting practical control parameters for UAV?

When setting control parameters for UAV, factors such as weather conditions, payload weight, and flight objectives should be taken into account. It is important to ensure that the parameters are set appropriately for safe and successful flight.